jira incoming mail handler

Ming Ho January 7, 2013

We have a jira 5.2.2. A mail server was configured in jira to to talk to our exchange via imap. uid/pwd were correct. When a mail handler was created, we got the error below during its creation. Has anybody run into this before?

2013-01-08 08:48:50,141 QuartzWorker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner PLM email Generated Issues [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] PLM email Generated Issues[10100]: Error connecting to host 'mail.mspot.com' as user 'plm.jira' via protocol 'imap': javax.mail.MessagingException: socks;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: socks
javax.mail.MessagingException: socks;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: socks
at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:670)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:295)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService$MessageProviderImpl.getAndProcessMail(MailFetcherService.java:201)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.runImpl(MailFetcherService.java:356)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.file.AbstractMessageHandlingService.run(AbstractMessageHandlingService.java:252)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: socks
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:405)

2 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

Exception appears to be that the JIRA server is not able to connect to the IMAP server port. Can you try a direct telnet to the IMAP port from the JIRA server to check whether it is reachable?

Ming Ho January 8, 2013

i was able to retreat emails using fetchmail on the same server. so, connection should be fine. it goes through non-ssl port 143. so certs are not the issue. one thing to note w/ fetchmail is that I had to enable NTLM. I wonder if that is the cause of the problem. perhaps jira use plaintext when authenticating over none secure port.

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2013

Hi Ming Ho

I found a knowledge base article that could be quite useful in diagnosing mail handler issues, you might want to have a read on this : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Diagnosing+Mail+and+Mail+Handlers+Issues

Hope it does helps a little

Cheers

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

This kind of error implies something outside of JIRA, i.e. network. In addition to the above, using a simple telnet check to verify TCP connectivity with the server would be a start:

telnet <span>mail.mspot.com [port, eg 993]

You could also code up a mock client to validate connectivity, as per: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10008947/javax-mail-messagingexception-connection-reset-while-trying-to-access-gmail-usi

Suggest an answer