[jira] how to auto-include version info in project key?

Jason Tong July 14, 2014

In jira, a project is more like a product, for example, we set a project "MyProduct", and there are versions 1.0,2.0,3.0xxxx, is there a way to set the project key auto contain the version? such as "MP-[Version]",then the case title should be like "MP-1.0 xxx"; "MP-2.0 xxx".

Although we can filter cases by version, but if we can use case title to contain version, it is much more user friendly.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2014

If you want a project key to reflect a version, you can enable numbers in the project keys and include the version in them when you set up the new projects. You will, of course, now have one project for each version.

Jason Tong July 21, 2014

Hi Nic, thanks for your feedback. For the big project, we can set one jira project for one real project, and follow you suggestion. but for some projects, which versions changes fast. someimes a new version generated after one month. in this way, we use jira project as product, all versions included in this project. In each case, we use a version field to distingush which project version this case belongs to. so currently there is no way to set a fixed version in the project key. is there any way to set the project key to contains a filed such as version?

such as the project is "My Project" and the key can be set as "MY-${found in version}", and jira will auto transfer the variable to real value.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2014

The whole point of a project key is that it uniquely defines a project. What you're proposing is a project key that breaks that rule.

You'd need to rewrite most of Jira to do that, and probably throw away the concept of projects, then come up with a totally different way of doing everything else you've broken.

While I understand what you're trying to achieve, it's structurally nonsense, won't work in real life, and the answer is "get your users to read the version field"

I'd suggest looking into adding version to the summary for more visibility, but even that's a bit fraught because you can have many versions.

Suggest an answer