jira field configuration required

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2014

I have created two projects with very specific custom fields.   One of them works perfectly, the other works except the "Required" fields are not required.  I have a custom field configuration for both of them and in the field configuration the fields are marked as "Required".  I went and did a re-index.

Also when I click CREATE to create an issue the one that works first requires the user to select the Issue type and then shows all the custom fields.  The one that doesn't has all the information on the same screen with a divider between the project and issue type and the custom fields.

The only difference I can see from them is the workflow, and I would hope that has nothing to do with a field being required.

Any help is gratefully accepted...

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2014

You need to check THREE things.

First, as Bhushan has mentioned, the more important thing is to check that the projects are both using the right "issue type screen schemes", which determine which screen (collection of fields) is in use.

Second, check that the custom fields are valid for the project/issuetype you have

Third, look at the projects "field configuration" - these hold the mandatory/optional flag, but also can be used to hide fields.

Basically check that BOTH projects are set up the same way on all three of those things.

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

I appreciate both or your responses, I have ensured that the issue type schema has the correct issue type and is associated correctly to the project, also I know the that the screen schema's and that the custom fields are valid as they exist in create and work perfectly short of they just are not required.  If I go into the field configuration it states that is it required for that field configuration.  So the custom fields exist in the project (as they are specific to that project) and are listed when I go to create an issue they just aren't mandatory.

What I believe the problem is that the field configuration schema does not list the project, but I go into configure configuration schema's and there is no obvious way to associate a project  with a field configuration schema. I can associate and issue type with configure (clicking associate) or change the name (clicking edit).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2014

You're thinking of the scheme association back to front. You don't "associate a project with a field configuration scheme", you "select the scheme you want for this project". Same as the screen and issue type schemes - there's a big pile of them that you *could* use, and you go into the project and select them.

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

I realize that and completely agree. However, when I go into View Field Configuration Schemes it lists Name, Project, and Operations. How do I get my specific Field Configuration Schema to list my project?

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

Or Conversely how do I get my project to use the correct field configuration schema?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2014

Go into the project and select the ones you need.

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

Hm I tried to change it and it left it at default field configuration schema, I then went in again and again selected action use different schema and it took it, and that fixed it. We have been getting massive timeouts for doing admin things I will call it that. Thanks that was it!

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2014

Hi Robert,

Suggest you take a look at the screen schemes being used by the two project.

Suggest an answer