jira endOfDay and timezones

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

We've got users working in the same project located in Europe (CET), UK (GMT), and US (EST), server hosted in on GMT. Issues require an action before a deadline is reached (DateTime custom field).

We have a JQL that uses the endOfDay function to see what is due today (deadline < endofday())

I've had a look at the source code & it does seem to respect the user's timezone but what I'm not certain about is when it's run as a Subscription to a group of users.

From memory, I think the subscription runs the search for every user in turn so that it only returns the data appropriate to the permission levels. I'm guessing this picks up the users timezeone as well.

So... 3 users, in 3 time zones, same subscription, same permissions could get 3 different sets of results based on their time zones.

Does that sound right?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

The answer is yes, worked it out just switching timezones on my own account.

3 usres, 3 timezones, same permissions, 3 different results all relevant to local time.

Sorry for taking up your time....

Saurabh Gadkari July 18, 2020

Thanks for answering it yourself. It helped me after 8 years and must have helped many others all these years :) 

Suggest an answer