jira enable working with follower issue not until linked predecessor is finished

skorzinetzki August 21, 2012

hi,

is it possible to expand functionality of linking issues like the following:

we have a link between issues that describes predecessor and follower issues. this is currently not more than a documentation. you can start working with the follower issue without considering the status of the predecessor issue.

what we need is: you can not work with the follower issue until the linked predecessor is not in a given status or solution.

is there any way getting this done?

kind regards

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2012

Sounds like you need a bit of code.

My instinct would be to write workflow "conditions" that will prevent users from moving through the workflow until predecessor issues are complete.

i think i found a way to solve it via workflow conditions. the "Workflow Toolbox" plugin delivers conditions, with which it is possible to test for status of linked issues. thank you!

is there a chance to react on an event like "an issue got linked to another issue"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2012

Ah good, you found a plugin that provides it, I was about to point at the script runner too.

I think you'll need code for "issue has been linked", it's part of "issue updated". The script runner should be able to spot and react to that, from memory.

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

You could use the Script-Runner to create a new condition.

A good starting point should be the "All dependent issues need to be resolved" example on https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Conditions

thank you for your suggestion. with the script runner it should be possible to establish such a condition. see my comment on the above answer, where i mention another plugin, which already has such a functionality. and again same question like above:

is there a chance to react on an event like "an issue got linked to another issue"?

Suggest an answer