jira dsn name not working

Ryan LaMontagne September 28, 2015

Hi,

I have JIRA running on a server and I can ping JIRA from another machine on the same network, but cannot access the site. I created a DSN name and still cannot access the site, but I can ping the IP and host name. 

I set the base url to the same url I created for the DSN name. 

Any ideas why I cannot hit the site from another machine on the same network?

Thanks,

Ryan

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2015

Your clients are not using the DNS server, or the changes have not propagated out to them yet.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2015

Ryan, 

First thing would be the Operational System where JIRA is running be able to answer the DNS requests. So, basically you need to make sure you have your JIRA answering locally by name. Once you have this, then you should setup that record into your DNS Service. 

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2015

Hi Ryan,

Are you able to ping the DNS name from your machine and the JIRA Machine itself? Is this a external DNS or a internal one? 

Try to "ping -a w.x.y.z" and check if the name is resolved from the IP address correctly.

Or the DNS was not propagated to the clients yet as Nic stated above, or the DNS is not correctly configured. 

regards,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer