jira - automation - security policy assigned

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

Overview:

• I have a jira issue with a security policy assigned to it.
    • some users change the security policy to NONE because due to the security policy some changes can't occur under that.
    • they don't add the policy back
  • yes I know not ideal but it's a more complicated situation than shared above.

Ask

• is there a way to run a workflow automation that
    • can you put a delay in the automation to run after an issue has been updated for example 2 minutes? 
  • I know you can run it every 2 minutes but that is overhead not needed as I only want it to occur when an issue is updated.

1 answer

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

@Gavin I think you need to rethink your process.  If the process is so complex that it requires a workaround on your security policy you should be looking to simplify it or change it so it supports your security model.   What issue are you having that you have to remove security to perform an action in Jira?  

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2022

Overview

- item 1 - Group A - Can view the issue

- item 2 - Group B - Can not view the issue

- item 3 - Group A - can add a member of Group B to the watcher field allow them to view the issue.

current scheme: Level 1 Security Level 

• Current assignee
  • Group (Group A)
  • Project Role (Administrators)
  • Project lead
  • Reporter

Issue:

- when group A member adds a Group B member into the watchers field.

Error:

here was an error adding watcher

• The user "groupUserBmember" does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list.

Observations

• if we remove the security level (clearly it'll work)
    • add GroupB Member to watchers
    • then apply the level 1 scheme
    • it works

How can I add Group B member into the watchers list so that they can view the issue without removing the level 1 security level?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

@Gavin The issue is the fact that you are using the watcher field.  There are several enhancement requests that ask for watcher field to be utilized in the manner that you are asking but have not moved forward yet.  You can easily create a multiselect user picker custom filed to your project and add individuals that way.  It is supported and will not require you to change the issue security to add individuals.

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2022

True. But the UI/UX is not as clean as the watcher where users can be deleted in line.

- Well the multiselct user picker the user has to know there username some are obvious while others aren't so it can result in an issue.

- additionally since all the user names are editable a typo or extra delete will result in an error and corresponding frustration.  The watcher field it's user proof interface. If the multiuser had the same interface then it would be a no brainer.

Also, a watcher gets a notification as well. I think though a multiple user interface can have that

Suggest an answer