jira-administrators

Liam Williamson February 13, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Manage groups

Hi guys,

What is the jira-administrators group for and how does it differ to the site-admin and administrators groups?

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not mentioned in the linked documentation.

Thanks,

Liam

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2017

A site admin is there to look after all the stuff you've got enabled in Cloud, so not just JIRA. 

JIRA Administrators is the group for just administrating JIRA (usually overlaps with site admin)

Administrators is the group needed to do system administration, so you can ignore it, as it's just "Atlassian support" on Cloud systems.

There is obviously some overlap in the things they can do here. 

Hi Nic,

Thanks for responding.  Can you clarify what you mean by "so you can ignore it, as it's just "Atlassian support" on Cloud systems."?

I'm with a team of sys admins for our JIRA Cloud instance so would be surprised if ignoring the administrators group is the way to go.

Thanks,

Liam

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2017

Nope, your team have JIRA administration rights, not system.  You don't get system admin rights on Cloud systems, only Atlassian get that.

This doc is for server, so it's not 100% accurate for Cloud, but seehttps://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-global-permissions-861253290.html#Managingglobalpermissions-sysadminAboutJIRASystemAdministratorsandJIRAAdministrators

Okay.  So if the administrators group is only for Atlassian support, why am I able to add/remove members from/to it?  

Can I safely delete it without having any impact on the system?

This might avoid confusion amongst my team when deciding which group to add people to.

Regarding the doc in your link, for clarity, am I right in saying the below are the same?:

administrators = JIRA System Administrators

jira-adminitrators = JIRA Administrators

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2017

I apologise, I have made a mistake.

The "administrators" group is not the system administrator's group.  It's a bit of a hangover from where Cloud and Server defaults diverged a bit, and it generally means roughly the same as " JIRA administrators".  If you want to simplify your groups, then you can safely remove it, but before you do, check the global permissions for what it can do.

Like Brett Connor likes this
Liam Williamson February 14, 2017

Ah, great.  Thanks Nic.

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2017

Hello @Liam Williamson

"jira-administrators" is a group, now it depends on how you have mapped this group in your "Global Permissions"

There are two major Global permissions related to administration

JIRA Administrators

Ability to perform most administration functions (excluding Import & Export, SMTP Configuration, etc.).

And

JIRA System Administrators

Ability to perform all administration functions. There must be at least one group with this permission.

As you can see from description that "JIRA System Administrators" is the permission which allows members to do everything related to JIRA, now you can put the jira-administrator group for either of the above two permissions or both, depends on your usecase.

From the docs-

By default, the jira-administrators groups has both the JIRA Administrators permission and the JIRA System Administrators permission. Also by default, the user account created during the JIRA setup wizard is a member of this jira-administrators group.

So now it's upto you which of the two or both type of permissions you want to grant to the jira-administrator group.

More here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/managing-global-permissions-828787760.html

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2017

I think I missed the part about "Sitte-admin" in cloud part.

Apart from the normal admin stuff (adding, removing users etc) the thing which site-admins can do as well is the "Access to billing information"

Like Germán Isaurralde likes this
Liam Williamson February 14, 2017

Thanks for you're input, Tarun.