jira-administrator becomes read-only

Jessy Li January 13, 2015

Hello, dear all, how come my jira-administrator becomes ready-only and cannot allow me to add user into administrator group?

3 answers

0 votes
Sandra Axelsdóttir [Tempo] February 13, 2015

I have the same problem. I´m in the jira-administrator group along with 20 other people. We can all do what we want to do as administrators. However, I can not add new members to jira-administrator group, because it doesn't have to option (see attachment).  What is the possible cause?jira-administrator group.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

I think that's a different problem - you can't edit the admin group unless you are an administrator.

Sandra Axelsdóttir [Tempo] February 13, 2015

I fixed it :)

Jessy Li February 13, 2015

how? wanna share?

0 votes

Capture.JPG

Capture_az.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

Ah, now that's different. That means that the external directory that green_shen belongs to is read only. You need to add the group in your external directory.

what do you mean by external directory? My jira is with company's AD and green_shen is the user in the company's AD that I want to add into 'jira-administrators'. So is the external directory you mentioned the AD? and what do you mean I need to add the group in my external directory?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2015

Yes, that's the point - JIRA is reading the AD accounts, but it can't write to them because of your setup. So when you try to add a user into the group, it can't do it because AD is read only. You need to make the change in your AD system

but the user group is jira local group... its jira original group.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2015

You've been removed from the administrator group, or you've changed the user directory to an external directory, or you've added too many "active" users and exceeded your licence.  Probably the first though.

Hello, Nic

I am pretty I am still in administrator group. I have only two directory on is company read-only AD the other one is JIRA Internal. my company purchased unlimited license.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2015

Sorry, the other possibility is that the admin group was removed from the global admin permission, I should have said that alongside "removed from admin group" You'll need to check that you still have full admin rights. If you do, and you can't maintain groups at all, that implies that the internal directory has been disabled and all user maintenance is to be done outside JIRA. I think it's worth explaining, exactly, waht "cannot allow me to add user" means - you can get into the maintenance but there's no edit options? You can try to add them but nothing happens? etc

Suggest an answer