jira 7.1.1 fails to start

Simon Pullen March 8, 2016

I have upgraded from JIRA 6.4 to latest 7.1.1 on my local machine using SQL2012. Upgrade completed successfully. However, JIRA now fails to start, no errors in logs.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Simon Pullen March 8, 2016

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. I'm starting JIRA via Windows Service.. Log output is minimal, there is just the commons-daemon.2016-03-09.log, no Catalina folder/logs. There is an error block, as below:-

[2016-03-09 10:12:47] [error] [10516] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
[2016-03-09 10:12:47] [error] [10516] Failed creating java C:\Program Files (x86)\AccuRev\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll
[2016-03-09 10:12:47] [error] [10516] ServiceStart returned 1

Does this implay that it's a plugin incomaptibility issue and would that stop server start? How can I override this?

Many thanks

Simon

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

If it's not writing to Catalina.out, then the service isn't even able to start the Tomcat.

"%1 is not a valid Win32 Application" is a pretty deadly one, it means that whatever it's trying to run isn't compatible with Windows and can't even be started.

However, the reference to the JRE in there also makes it look like you have installed an incompatible JVM and JIRA is trying to use it.  Whatever the JVM is there for, it's the wrong one.

I would check the environment carefully to see if you can find out why it's running that JVM.  If that becomes a bit of a maze, then you could force the issue by ensuring the JAVA_HOME and the path to the correct Java installations are set in JIRA's setenv.bat file OR the environment that the service runs in.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

If it's not starting, then there will be errors in the logs.

Check atlassian-jira.log in <jira-home>/logs, and then catalina.out in <jira-install>/log - one of them will show at least one reason why it's not starting.

0 votes
Jon Bevan [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

Please can you tell us how you're starting JIRA and what happens when you do? Are you running JIRA on Windows/Linux/Mac?

Suggest an answer