issue view event in jira

mehran haghani January 24, 2014

hi,

i want to do some custom tasks in issueview class but since my tasks may be vary and i may want change them and add to them , i can not add my code directly in viewissue class

i want to know that is there any way that help me to know when an issue viewed ?forexample some thing like issueeventlistener

can i add a custom event to jira that every time that an issue viewed it trigger and notify me?

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2014

Well, you need to go as far as modifying core JIRA, but custom code definitely. There is a difference to UI interactions vs Events though, Events say 'what' happened but not necessarily 'how' (interactive user, remote api, scheduled job, email).

You're actually asking two questions though;

1) i want to do some custom tasks in issueview class

Be more specific. This can be interpeted as 'I want to do something that does not change how viewissue currently works', which is easily achievable using Servlet Filters that can target the 'what'. If you want to actually do fancy stuff, that gets harder.

2) can i add a custom event to jira that every time that an issue viewed it trigger and notify me?

Is that really what you want?! you didnt indicate anything about filtering so the requirement as stated is 'anyone' loading an issue, including you, will notify you of that

An even isn't fired on viewissue, but if you really want be notified when someone views the issue at all, filters can hook into when that happens, technically you could trigger a notification (eg email) at that point.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2014

Jira doesn't track issue-view this way.

You'll need to add something to the core of Jira to get it to react to issue-view, or put something in javascript to trigger something. Bear in mind that the user activity that does generate events is a fraction of what Jira does and if you start putting actions on every view of an issue, you could cripple your server. One of my clients did when they did something similar.

Suggest an answer