is warning for not filling fields possible?

emrah cakir June 24, 2012

I wonder that if I customize fields (for example "due date" field) not "optional or required" but system warns user as "you should fill that field" but users can skip that warning and left field blank or fill that field according to their decision. Is it possible for JIRA to do anything similar to that solution?

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

I don't think I understand the question here.

The point of setting a field as mandatory is that the users have to fill it in. To let them choose whether to fill it in or not, you simply make it optional. There's no point warning them if a field is optional, because it's well, optional, so they don't need to fill it in.

Could you explain what I've misunderstood in your question? What do you need? Is it more like you want fields to be optional when the issue is created, and mandatory later?

In some specific cases (on some issue types), we want to use ignorable warning . System warns user but user choose whether filling the field or not . We use that option on SAP ERP system also. It is really useful for our company on some cases.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

Oh, those things in SAP, yes, I've seen them. They're horrid in UI terms - they slow the user down with information they don't care about (broadly users fall into two camps - "don't understand the warning" and "don't need the warning") and add work that they don't want to do having to click or confirm. In cases where the field is really important, you'd want it mandatory anyway and handle that in validation.

So, Jira doesn't have them. I suspect you could add something with javascript, but I'd seriously try to avoid them. Put the information in the field description so the user has it on-screen without having to click.

I think we seperated on SAP warning issue :) I'm key user of SAP PM and I think it's useful to get warning. It is not our goal to slow the user down. Anyway, thanks for your interest.

0 votes
Walt Fles June 24, 2012

Script it - have a validation check in jython (using Jira Scripting Suite) or Groovy (using Script Runner).

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2012

You can set help text to a field using the behaviours plugin . There is a similar example here

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2012

You could perhaps build your warnings into the field descriptions (via Field Configurations).

Separately, there is an open improvement issue JRA-5783 (Make field required only for one state transition) which will be great for making indivdual fields sometimes required and sometimes not required, all depending on the transition. That is not quite what you want unless "left field blank or fill that field according to their decision" includes letting the system make the decision.

I know that improvement issue but don't think it is the solution

Thanks Mark.

Suggest an answer