is there any option to add gadget on dashboard using code ?

majid pathan November 15, 2017

is there any option to add gadget on dashboard using code ? let say when user install my dashboard plugin at that time i want to add all available gadget with plugin will auto added on dashboard .

Thanks,

MK

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Yes, you could create code in your add-on that lists through all dashboards, and adds your gadget, but don't.

It's not a simple loop - your code will need to deal with

• Dashboard that are full so it can't be added
  • When to run - if it's on installation, you need some way to not do it again if the add-on is upgraded, re-enabled or re-installed

Additionally

• For a large system with lots of dashboards, your plugin will fail to load as it will run into a timeout
  • Your users will hate you.  Dashboards are designed by humans, and they put the stuff they want on them.  Having someone force something on to their designed dashboards can be intensely annoying (unless it's something that is utterly fantastic for them, which is unlikely)

I would not bother to do this at all.  It's a lot of effort for no gain.  I'd install the add-on and then stick an announcement banner up saying "hey, there's a great new gadget, please try it"

Suggest an answer