is there a way to associate more than one permission scheme to a project?

NoFearOnline February 9, 2021

i want to create a user with read permissions on all of the projects in my organization, is there a way other than adding its group to each one of the permission schemes with read permission?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

No, permission schemes are singluar, a project is inly associated with one at a time.

You will need to add your read-permission to every permission scheme.  (I'd recommend not using groups or individuals, add a role for read only and then add that user or group into each project they need access to - it's easier to maintain in the long run)

NoFearOnline February 12, 2021

Thanks for answering, do you know what is the reason for this kind of relationship? what is the motive of not giving an option to give wide permissions? I ask this because my organization has hundreds of projects, I probably can automate the process of adding this role to each one of the projects but it really seems like something that should be implemented as a feature, is there a feature request on this topic?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

There's no open feature request for it because Atlassian hae said they're not interested in doing it.

The current permission system has been in place since 3.6 and hasn't changed (other than some permissions being added).

It's also not a good idea in security terms.  Do you have projects that your admin user should not have access to?  I can pretty much guarantee that you do, and having an easy way to add their access like that will equally guarantee that someone is added incorrectly.

This is why project roles exist - they give the ability for the project admins to control who can get in.

Suggest an answer