is there a limit to how many subtasks can be associated with one issue?

Julie Day June 24, 2014

We are planning to assign up to 40 subtasks to various separate groups off of one parent issue. Is there any limit on the number of subtasks that can be created?

This is the first time we've looked at subtasks, we do not want groups to be able to view each others information. I am assuming subtasks can be locked down so that each assignee can see only their subtask's information?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

Hi Julie,

This question has been answered on the related post below:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/81187/what-s-the-maximum-number-of-subtask-s-per-issue

There is no such limit for number of subtasks. Having said that, It will not make sense to have a 100 subtasks on a single issue and it is more process related. You will also see performance issues if you do that when viewing issues etc.

As such, the system doesn't prevent it.

As highlighted by Jobin there, you should review whether it really is the best approach to have this many sutasks instead of a separate project, for instance.

Cheers,

Danilo

Pete Spadaro April 20, 2017

I see this thread is almost 2 years old.  Is this information still accurate?  Are there performance issues when a story contains a lot of subtasks?

To keep track of something like the number of files moved from one server to another, for example, I can import file information from an xls and mass-create subtasks, one subtask per file.  Then as the subtasks are closed (files are moved from server A to server B) I can report progress through something like EazyBI.  I have experimented with a small number (5 files, therefore 5 subtasks) and it works well but I don't know what would happen to system performance if I created hundreds or even thousands of subtasks in one story.  Any thoughts?

Like # people like this
Barb O'Connell December 20, 2018

Hi,

I would like to know this as well.  We see more requests for automating subtask creation and it is getting to be +20 subtasks per issue.  Aside from the velocity of ticket volume, is there a performance limit we should be aware of during creation, filtering, moving these tickets that we can pass along to our users and perhaps ask them to consider alternatives to subtask (like checklist fields, attached checklists, google docs, etc.). 

Thank you!

Like neil walcuch likes this
0 votes
Julie Day June 29, 2014

Thanks, Danilo!

Suggest an answer