is there a limit for number of project

Jerome Martin May 8, 2012

Hi Atlassian

I have a question about project management with Jira. We use Jira to manage issues on ours projects. Today, Jira is used only by members of IT department but we would like open Jira for allpeople in our organization. Tomorrow, the number of project in jira will be important.

Is it a problem ? Is there a limit ? How do you manage that ?

We can try to agregate project in a same projet and use component functionality but all our projects are not the same. Sometimes, we have different authorization system or different notification system. is it a problem ?

What is your opinion ? Your advice ?

Thanks by advance

Jerome from france

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2012

Not really. I've worked on Jira installations with literally thousands of projects. For most usage, you're not going to hit a practical limit on projects - your humans will be complaining about too much junk/old projects/confusing-stuff well before Jira has a problem.

Sounds like you should split your projects into parts, but before you do it, I recommend looking very carefully at your user groups and how you want to do this split. If, for example, you are using the jira-users group for anything other than "can log into Jira", you probably want to stop that and create logical groups of users to be used in projects (or better, get it done in roles)

Thank a lot for your answer. I think we can save the entire environnement and clean the old project. This way could be good. In fact, we don't want to split. it's opposite. Eventually, we will agregate to simplify. We can say, litlle by little we know well the possibilities to configure JIRA and we appreciate a lot.

Thanks again.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2012

Hi Jerome,

First and very important, this is like a forum where people from 'all around the world', Atlassian Support and Atlassian Experts help other users.

Second, the number of projects are unlimited I think. And the thing I like the most from jira is that almost everything is customizable. You will find it very pleasant.

Thanks too Ramiro :-)

Suggest an answer