is it possible to set security level for work log?

Kate May 10, 2012

Hi,all!

Is it possible to set security level or restriction for work log? For example, we have group A and group B, both groups can browse project, but only one of them can browse log work. The second group can't browse log work, spent time, estimated hours and etc...

I try to use Behaviour plugin, but it doesn't work.

2 answers

0 votes
Janosch Spillmann March 12, 2013

Does anybody has found a solution or a workaround for this problem? I tried to hide the WorkLog / TimeTracking field since hours and can't find a way to do so

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2012

You can do that in the basic permissions stuff, you don't need behaviours. Go into the permission scheme for the project and look for the "worklog" section - you'll find you can enable browse/log/edit/delete for worklogs on a group/role basis (And some more powerful stuff, e.g. "only assignee can log work")

Kate May 10, 2012

Sorry,but i see only:

Work On Issues

Edit Own Worklogs

Edit All Worklogs

Delete Own Worklogs

Delete All Worklogs

And all users with permission "Browse project" can browse worklog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2012

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood the question. I read it as a statement of how things are working now and hence you were stuck on permissions.

If I've got it right this time, then your question is really "How do I ide worklogs from a group of users?".

Jira doesn't do field level security - if you can see the issue, you can see all the fields on it. That's why things like the behaviours plugin exist, they enable that sort of functionality. I think you've chosen the right way to do it, by choosing the behaviours plugin.

But you'll have to explain what "it doesn't work" means. (That's a bit like saying "my car doesn't work" to a mechanic over the 'phone, but not telling him whether the engine won't start, or a wheel has fallen off...) Tell us what you've tried to do with it and what the results are (does the view screen change at all?)

Kate May 11, 2012

My english is not very well :)

I have problems with this line: FormField Field = getFieldById("???") I don't know which id or name i should write here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2012

Nah, your English is fine, it's my reading that needs work sometimes :-)

The getFieldById needs the ??? replaced with the ID for the custom field that gets generated by Jira as it builds the html for the screen. I can never remember what the rules are, so I always do it by digging through the page.

Open up the screen you want to hide the field on.

Press ctrl-u to open the source html of the page (Firefox and Chrome shortcut, can't remember if it's the same in IE - I gave up using that years ago, but you're looking for something like "view source" in the menus)

Go find the html for your field - use search to find the name of the field. For example, my "Story Points" field:

{code}

<tr id="rowForcustomfield_10362">

<td bgcolor="#f0f0f0" width="20%" valign="top"><b>Story Points:</b></td>

<td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80%">

</td>

</tr>

{code}

Look for the id tag in the block of code. For a custom field, you use the number after the _. For a system field, you'll find it's a word (e.g. resolution)

Kate May 13, 2012

I know it.. Work log is a default field, but i don't know its name in base. I have tried: work log,log work, timespent and all combinations of words from these pages: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+Work+on+an+Issue

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA041/Database+Schema#DatabaseSchema-Worklogs

Also in my native language :)

that's why i have concluded that this plugin doesn't work..

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2012
No guarantee it works but the official names of the system fields can be found here: http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/constant-values.html#com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.TIMETRACKING
Kate May 17, 2012

it doesn't work :(

Suggest an answer