is it possible to automatically add specific watchers to a project?

JT Tsai I'm New Here Jan 05, 2018

When an issue is created, I want to be able to configure a specific user to be added to the watcher list automatically so that he/she can always follow-up/know about the changes on the issues for a particular project(s).

2 answers

2 accepted

1 votes

Hello,

You would need an add-on for it (Adaptivist Scriptrunner, Power Scripts etc). What add-on to choose depends on your Jira version (Server or Cloud). You could create your own post-function and put it to the create issue transition. For example, suppose you are on Jira Server/Data Center and you have Power Scripts, the code of your post-function would look like this:

%key%.watchers = getUser("YourUserName");

You can find more info about Power Scripts here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.jjupin/server/overview

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Jan 05, 2018

Alexey's answer is a perfect response to the literal asked question.

However, the most correct approach for receiving notifications about all issues in a specific project wouldn't be adding those users automatically as watchers to every issue.

The recommended solution is achieveable with no addons, by following these general steps:

1. Create a new Project Role (ie: named "Notified of changes")
  2. Edit the Notification Scheme used by the project you want users to be able to follow by adding the new project role to all events you'd like them to receive notifications from.
  3. Add the desired users to the new role in the project.

Note that those users also need to be able to see the project's issues in order to be notified of changes happening in them.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,887 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot