install Jira on Ubuntu headless

Christine Karman March 17, 2017

I tried to install JIRA on Ubuntu, on a headless server in the cloud. I use lynx to run the setup. During installation, it asks for a license key. The Atlassian web site will give me a license key, if I supply a server id. The server ID I get when I run Jira. But I can't run JIRA because I need the license key to install it. How do I get past this deadlock? Should I completely remove JIRA from my server, and try installing again? Will the installer show me a server ID?

1 answer

0 votes
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2017

assuming your cloud server has a public ip or some sort of dynamic DNS path to it - why not just use your browser to continue installation? http://your-ip:8080 is all you need to access from your workstation.

Christine Karman March 18, 2017

My server is not accessible from the outside. I plan to use it via a proxy on my Apache web server. However, the install did not work via the proxy. 

Christine Karman March 18, 2017

As I said, the server is behind a firewall, it doesn't have an external ip number. In the mean time, I have access to the server via the Apache proxy, but I get the same page asking for a license key and not giving a server id.

The Atlassian site says "If you are installing JIRA for the first time, you can locate your Server ID on the Specify your license key screen in the JIRA setup wizard." but that page doesn't show me a server ID. Not in Lynx, not in Chrome. 

Right. The server ID was not on the page, but I did find it in the HTML source. Now I have a license key. However, I can't  seem to make JIRA work through my Apache proxy. Oh well... 

Suggest an answer