inline editing for assignee field in JIRA isn't working

arorarahul December 9, 2015

I am unable to figure out why the inline editing of assignee field is not working. Do we have any idea what external factors can cause this?

Just to put note, we have behavior plugin installed on JIRA instance

3 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2015

It might be the Behaviours part of Script Runner, but you'd have to have done some sneaky stuff with it, and you should be able to see that in the admin section.

I assume that your users can assign issues with the "assign/assign to me" links (if they can't, then Fabio has given you the right answer)

But... the usual reason for inline edit not working is that you have not got the field on the issue edit screen.  Click on the full "edit" option to check if it's there.  If it's missing, go to project admin and drill down through the issue tye screen scheme to find the edit screen and add it there.

Marian K. June 8, 2017

thank you Nic with the hint about "issue edit" screen.
I had the same problem and this seems to fix it:
I added "Assign" field to the "Issue View/Edit Screen"
then set properly Project Permissions "Assign issues", "Assignable User"
and furthemore it seems that the Person needs to have a Developer Role, since "Edit Issues" Project Permission is set to 'Project Role: Developers' by default...

Nina Zolotova April 6, 2018

ut... the usual reason for inline edit not working is that you have not got the field on the issue editscreen.  Click on the full "edit" option to check if it's there.  If it's missing, go to project admin and drill down through the issue tye screen scheme to find the edit screen and add it there.

Nick, thanks a lot. I had the same issue and this hint really helped.

0 votes
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2015

Another possible reason (depending on your situation) is that you don't have the Browse users global permission. This means the Assignee field is available and you can type in it, but you're no longer getting a list of users to pick from. The field still works, but you have to type the user's name exactly.

Thanks,

Warren

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2015

Hello,

please check that your user has the "Assign Issues" Permission at project level (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-permissions-185729636.html) . It should fix your issue.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Suggest an answer