include Jira Service Desk fields in my Jira project tickets

scott.fawcett February 3, 2020

We use Jira Service Desk.  It is integrated with our standard Jira project.  When a ticket is entered into Jira Service Desk, after review, some magic happens and it ends up as a new ticket in our Jira project (I know nothing about that integration).

We'd like to include the Jira Service Desk Reporter in the Jira ticket.  I don't think it can be the Reporter, since that field automatically gets filled in by whomever reviews the ticket.  But it could be added to the Description, as a Comment, a custom field, etc.

I just have no idea where to map Service Desk fields to Jira fields.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
scott.fawcett February 5, 2020

ok.  Figured it out.  It was a type problem.

So, I created a new field called Originator that's the same type as the Reporter field.  Now, I just copy the value of Reporter into Originator as part of the post-function when the ticket is created.  All works.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Glad to hear this!! Thanks for updating the thread with the solution 🚀

0 votes

I thought I found a solution, but could use some more feedback.

In the post-function I now copy the Reporter field (from Service Desk) to the Customer field (in my Jira project).  Sounds straightforward and solves my problem.

But...this is what gets filled into the Customer field, which does nothing to provide with information on who the original Reporter was (from Service Desk).  It's even a hyperlink that, when clicked, runs a query that shows the same bug (value??).

Account ID.jpg

That account ID not useful information.  I don't know what that is.  It's clearly not a name.

Here is the post-function step.

customer to Reporter post function.jpg

I'll continue talking to myself as I work through this.  Seems the Customer field is defined as type Label, which accepts custom (new) fields added by the end-user if they don't want to select from the existing drop-down selections available.  But, those new labels cannot have spaces, which is why I'm guessing it can't simply put in the Reporter name, i.e. John Doe.

My search for a solution continues.

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

When you say: some magic happens, what do you mean exactly? Is this that your standard Jira project is built on a query that finds tickets in the JSD project?

Please share some details on what you see :)

scott.fawcett February 4, 2020

I have access to the Service Desk, so here's the workflow attached (and thus the "magic").

I can see here that there are specific fields that are added to the LC project ticket.  I'd like to include the Reporter...but I don't want it to map directly to the Reporter field in the LC project (because that's also important for us to know...basically it's the individual who did the initial investigation to determine a ticket in the LC project should be created).

Here's service desk workflow.jpg

here's my attempt to add the Reporter field as a Comment, but admittedly that's a fairly complicated section to get right (I have not tested it yet).

Reporter in Comment.jpgIdeally I think it would be easier to see if the Reporter was in the Description.  I'll need to do some more investigation to see if that's possible.

scott.fawcett February 4, 2020

FYI: After some testing I figured out what's above is not working.  It actually worked the opposite of what I was hoping, so it was putting the Reporter as a comment in the original Service Desk ticket...not the newly created ticket.  That does me no good.

So I am continuing to investigate.

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this

Suggest an answer