import to jira portfolio epics not marked as done and associated stories

productbrett March 16, 2015

I'm trialling JIRA portfolio (cloud) and I cannot see a clean was to create a filter that will just import the epics and stories I need.

I've cleaned up all my Epic's and would like to import all the epics not marked as done and the issues that are then linked to just those epics.

I cannot see a way of doing this without the need to create a nested query.

1 answer

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2015

Brett, I can't see a clean way of doing this without a sub-query / Epic Link IN (...) statement either. 

Regarding the underlying problem: Are the stories within those epics open/completed correctly, and is the epic sorting-out you did mainly related to identifying open vs. completed ones as you just want to plan open things? I'm asking because we're currently working in improving the import dialog in the sense of marking items complete directly upon import based on the issue status. Thus, you could import the whole list, but completed things would not get scheduled and not show up in the view unless you toggle the "Completed issues" view above the backlog table (top right). Until we ship this, a workaround to do this efficiently would be to import also the open issues, and do a plan update straight after the import: Plan > Update from date > (choose a date prior to today and prior to the start date of your first release, as you will not want to "plan forward" from a later point in time) this will give you a suggested list of all backlog items that are to be marked completed in portfolio, and thus only considered for reporting, but not for forward-looking planning. With the next bigger release, this will happen automatically upon the import if there are resolved issues meeting the filter criteria. 

Clearly, this does not help if you have other relevant criteria to filter the relevant list of epics, but just wanted to through this in for consideration. 

Suggest an answer