import checkboxes

Amy Foster April 23, 2015

I cannot get the import checkboxes field to work.  Each time I import the CSV it creates new check box fields instead of populating the current check boxes.

The field is How Spend Time.  The data that is being imported is via .csv:

CallIDSummaryIssue TypeHow Spend TimeLIVEAssessment_Q1OtherDesc
LIVE-101DOROTHY BOHMLIVE AssessmentReading, Gardening, Knitting/Crafting, Games, Travel, Family/Friends, OtherEnjoys visiting with and dining out with family and friends/neighbors. Engages in crafts, leisure, travel, and gardening at her independent retirement community.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2015

You have 7 options in your multi checkboxes field, so you need 7 columns (for that field) in your csv file.

Issue Key,Summary,Issue Type,cf1,cf1,cf1,cf1,cf1,cf1,cf1,cf2
LIVE-101,DOROTHY BOHM,LIVE Assessment,Reading,Gardening,Travel,Knitting/Crafting,Games,Family/Friends,Other,"Enjoys visiting with and dining out with
 family and friends/neighbors. Engages in crafts, leisure, travel, and 
gardening at her independent retirement community"
Amy Foster April 28, 2015

Thank you!

Gautam De January 6, 2021

Thank you. It works.

0 votes
Amy Foster April 27, 2015

New check box option created from:

Issue Key, Summary, Issue Type, Custom Field 1: Checkboxes, Custom Field 2: Text Field: Multi-line

LIVE-101,DOROTHY BOHM,LIVE Assessment," , Reading, Gardening, Travel, Knitting/Crafting, Games, Family/Friends, Other","Enjoys visiting with and dining out with family and friends/neighbors. Engages in crafts, leisure, travel, and gardening at her independent retirement community"

2015-04-27_17-35-49.png

0 votes
Amy Foster April 24, 2015

Here are my options.  What is missing from my statement for issue LIVE-101?

2015-04-24_13-00-18.png

This is the CSV:

LIVE-101,DOROTHY BOHM,LIVE Assessment,"Reading, Gardening, Knitting/Crafting, Games, Travel, Family/Friends, Other","Enjoys visiting with and dining out with family and friends/neighbors. Engages in crafts, leisure, travel, and gardening at her independent retirement community."

I tried putting a , before Reading but it still just created a new checkbox with all the options.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2015

Once again, you need to have for each possible value of "How spend time" an own column in your csv file. Please see my previous examples and the link to the documentation.

Amy Foster April 27, 2015

In the example there is only one issue, Issue Key: LIVE-101. Custom Field 1 is the check box field. Issue Key, Summary, Issue Type, Custom Field 1, Custom Field 2 So if the options are in the screenshot and the bolded options are in the csv what is missing? If I use " , Reading, Gardending, Knittting/Crafting, Games, Travel, Family/Friends, Other" it still combines all the options and makes a new checkbox.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2015

Edit: didn't look at your example:

For a multi checkbox fields you need to have for each value you own column (with same name) in you csv.

e.g.

callid,summary,issuetype,How spend time,How spend time,How spend time,How spend time,....

Live-101,DOROTHY BOHM,LIVE Assessment,Reading,Gardening,Knitting/Crafting,Games,...

Is it because of the "" around Reading, Gardening...?

This is the actual data:

CallID,Summary,Issue Type,How Spend Time,LIVEAssessment_Q1OtherDesc

LIVE-101,DOROTHY BOHM,LIVE Assessment,"Reading, Gardening, Knitting/Crafting, Games, Travel, Family/Friends, Other","Enjoys visiting with and dining out with family and friends/neighbors. Engages in crafts, leisure, travel, and gardening at her independent retirement community."

I want each item to be selected in the checkboxes, not create a new checkbox that contains all the options.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2015

As I said, you need to have for each value in a multi checkboxes field (or multi select list) an own column in your csv file. Please see folowing examples:

IssueType, Summary, FixVersion, FixVersion, FixVersion, Component, Component

bug, "First issue", v1, , , Component1,

bug, "Second issue", v2, , , Component1, Component2

bug, "Third issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1,

The example is from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Importing+Data+from+CSV

0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2015

Hey Amy, Please, try the import again looking at your log files, so we can figure out why the import is failing.

Suggest an answer