if I change the issue type scheme and re-index will it "update all jiras"

Angie Goodman February 3, 2017

We've been rolling along with all of our projects using the default issue type scheme.  If one project wanted to add an Issue type, they would get agreement from the other projects and add it. No problem.

Now we have a new project.  They want new issue types (that no one else wants) and they do not want to use all of the existing issue types being used by other projects.

My plan:

• To accommodate the OLD projects: I was going to copy the Default Issue type scheme to create a new "General Issue type scheme".  Then I was going to switch the Issue type scheme on all of our old projects to the "General Issue type scheme".  
    • This would free up the Default Issue type scheme for me to add new issue types without affecting them, right?
    • If they need new issue types in the future, I will add them and associate with this General Issue type Scheme.
  • To accommodate the NEW project: Create a New Issue Type Scheme and only associate those Issue types that they want.

Questions:

• Am I making this more difficult than I should be?
  • For my OLD JIRAs, When I re-index, even though all of the Issue types are the exact same values, will it do some kind of update to all of my existing JIRAS and prompt a kazillion emails to be sent? (that would be bad)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2017

No, I think you're doing the right thing.

Your "General issue type scheme" decouples the existing projects from having to accept new issue types being added to the system, and protects them from the new scheme(s) you want to create for the new project.  It is a bit of a slog to swap them over to the new General scheme, but it's a one-off that gives you more freedom in the future.

The one thing that you have got slightly wrong, but is absolutely the right sort of thing to worry about is the indexing.  Indexing never sends emails, as it's rebuilding an index, not changing anything, and it's changes that send emails.  In this case, you don't need to worry about it at all.  If you change the issue type scheme and the change has no effect (i.e. the new issue type list includes all the old ones), then there's no changes to the issues, so there's no need to reindex at all.

So, I'd say, go ahead and do what you suggest.  There will be no emails, no need to re-index, it's just a change of config to help you out in the future.

Suggest an answer