Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

identify all child issue are at the same level as the epic

Hi,

I received this documentation from atlassian Upcoming changes: Epic link data above the epic level 

so , i want to identify all child issue are at the same level as the epic. I can't do it with a query and there is no example in the documentation.

I don't have the plugin Script Runner

I know I have cases, it happens when we change the issuetype form story to epic, for exemple.

epicchild.png

can you help me identify which epics have a child epic?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Melanie Liguet,

I didn't think this situation was possible, but I managed to reproduce your use case: when you move a story to another project and change it to an epic at the same type, you end up having an epic in another epic.

You can identify these child epics using an automation rule:

child-epic-rule.png

Make sure to:

• Create a rule with "All projects" scope:

child-epic-scope.png

• Add a JQL search to your Scheduled trigger:

child-epic-jql.png

• Un-tick "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed" in the branch:

child-epic-branch.png

You can then run your new rule to identify all child epics:

child-epic-run-rule.png

Hope this helps!

- Manon

very good idea
I am annoyed because I have a large volumetry to analyze.
Thanks

I submited a bug to atlassian.

they give me this JQL query to identify these epic child issues

issuetype in (Epic) AND "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

regards

Does it work on your end? I already tried this JQL query but it didn't return my child epics.

That query is nonsense.  Epics do not have an epic link field, they can't be included in other epics.

I think they might have meant

issuetype not in (Epic) and "Epic link" is not empty

Although you don't need that either - just " "Epic link" is not empty" will return a list of all issues that are in any Epic.

for information, it is a bug. Atlassian open a ticket : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-79358

@Manon Soubies-Camy this query is not perfect. for me, it recovers 6 issues, but it is necessary to do a manual analysis

0 votes

There aren't any.  Epic is a level in your hierarchy that is unique.  Epics can't have a child Epic.

If you have defined a hierarchy more complex than "Epic -> Issue -> sub-task" using Structure, Advanced Roadmaps or something else, they you'll need to search through the different layers, but none of them will let you do Epic of Epic, they'll do things like "Initiavie of Epics", "Saga of Epics", "Theme of Epics" and so-on.

I agree. that shouldn't be possible.

however in my screenshot I have a child epic of another epic.

this is not normal, that's why I want to identify them to correct them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events