i'm struggling to let the team create tasks that are meaningful

Ahmed Alghamdi August 24, 2017

the team is not mature in agile, and i'm not able to convince them of the benefit of creating tasks! they create generic once like each user story has three tasks, one as BE, and one as UI and one as integration. this does not really give the team any transparancy as what is being worked. I am encouraging them to create tasks every day for what they plan on deliverying in a daily basis but they think this is micromanagment! I beleive a task should be self-explanatory and reflect on a job that shouldnt take more than one day of work!

any help or resources I could share with the team? cuze it's hard to manage the progress of our sprint if i cant measure it

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2017

There are 2 aspects here :

1. You're encouraging the team to break work down into tasks, to help them work smarter (this should ideally be done at sprint planning, not on a daily basis, but you can try to progress to that)
  2. You're wanting those tasks so that you (I'm assuming the Scrum Master?) can measure (track?) the sprint. Tracking the sprint should be something that the whole team would be interested in

I would suggest having a discussion with the team and explain what you're trying to achieve and why - be transparent and you may get better buy-in from the team.

Suggest trying to "meaningfully" break all issues down into tasks for 1 sprint so that you and the team can see what benefits you get from it - inspect and adapt after that.

Worst case scenario is that the team doesn't break down any issues - but as Scrum Master you can insist that each issue has a time estimate. Then you can track progress by looking at a time burndown chart

Suggest an answer