i cant reinstall JIRA 5.2.4

dinidu_hewage January 8, 2013

once i unstall JIRA and now again i am installing , installation proccess happens well. but it stacks inthe database creation stage. I am tring to create an internal database. and i am using an evaluation version of jira.

4 answers

0 votes
Jenna Leaf May 4, 2015

JIRA doesn't like to be re-installed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2015

Yes, it's better to uninstall and start again

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Select Custom in the install and specify a totally new home directory and try out. I am still suspecting that the home directory is being re-used.

dinidu_hewage January 10, 2013

we can not install and run jira by installing it in a diferent place. if you know a way to do so please send me the other costomizations that i should do.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Ok, when you say you can't install, can you tell us the error you are getting? Screenshots?

dinidu_hewage January 23, 2013

The thing is when i install jira again my atalassian service is down , Then i should start the service and it gets unusual time to configure the data base, I have tried this sometimes for about 6 hours. Doesn't give any error or some thing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2013

You really do need to read the log file to find out what the problem is. There will be errors in the log file that tell you what is going wrong.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2013

Dinidu, in the Setup Wizard, JIRA expects that the external database it connects to is empty. You will not be able to proceed if JIRA detects that your internal database contains any existing data. Please run any SQL in HSQL database and confirm there is empty.

The solution is to drop (delete) and recreate the database. When next restarted with the correct data types, JIRA will recreate the tables correctly.

dinidu_hewage January 9, 2013

Hi Jhon,

The thing is i completly removed the atlassian folder from the program file folder. Then according to my knowledge about jira. internal database is also removed. But still i have the problem. is there any file or place to be modified to correct this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2013

You might not have placed the "home" directory in the same place as the "install" directory (in fact, you probably shouldn't do that anyway - data and application should be separated). You've then killed the install directory, but the home is still there, and that has the database in it.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2013

Hi Dinidu,

I worry some file is corrupted in JIRA instance. Can you try rebuild the work and plugin cache file again?

1. Shutdown JIRA instance
  2. Delete the contents of JIRA Installation Directory\work directory
  3. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\changes directory
  4. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\comments directory
  5. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\entities directory
  6. Delete contents of the JIRA Home Directory\caches\indexes\issues directory
  7. Remove the content of the following directory:
    • <JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.bundled-plugins
    • <JIRA Home Directory>/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  8. Restart JIRA instance.
  9. Perform re-indexing.

Hope it helps.

Hi John,

when i install jira in the second time i deleted the Atlassian folder from my Program files and did the installation. But still i got the error.

yes i deleted the total atlassian folder, i have installed the prvious jira instance choosing internal option in the select database window(under first start options). Is there any other place to change?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2013

What database have you got behind it? Have you dropped the database completely? Cleared out the Jira home directory?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2013

Possibly, depends on where you located the jira-home directory? Was it under the main installation?

What error(s) are you seeing when you try to re-install? "stacks in the database creation stage" doesn't tell us much.

Once i unstalled jira and again tried to install, then installation was occured without any error. After that when we first start jira it setup a database for jira. in this task i selected the internal database option and clicked "next" , then it began to process and i wait 5hr but couldnt have any response. It seems like stauck.

Suggest an answer