http 500 Error right after config on new server

aj senol January 7, 2015

Trying to recover from server crash and install JIRA on new server.  Everything went smoothly the config was able to confirm connectivity via the manual installation option, but right after we are getting this exception report ... Any ideas?

Currently have JIRA installed on intranet on 192.168.x.x on open ports 8090 and 8015.

thanks all

..AJ

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.instrumentation.InstrumentationStep.finallyAfterDoFilter(InstrumentationStep.java:39)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:94)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.doFilter(JiraFirstFilter.java:60)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.55 logs.

2 answers

0 votes
aj senol January 8, 2015
Hello Nic, yeah MSSQL is different alright.  The permissions listed are;

create sequence
delete
execute
insert
references
select
take ownership
update
view change tracking
view definition

The funny thing is that in the Server Management, when you examine the implied permissions - there are tabs for "explicit" and "effective" permissions.  The "effective permissions" were all there, but the explicit permissions were all missing.  I was thinking as dbo, the effective permissions were all I needed.  Apparently not.

I'm still not sure about how I got to a point where the user, which was the owner of the db did not have even one "explicit"permission whatsoever.  It has been a while since i first did this, and I don't remember having this kind of issue before.  On the installation instructions, do you remember where you saw a listing of the permissions?  i didn't see them in anything that i had about an SQL2012 install.

Anyway, thanks much for your help, all is well now.

..AJ

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2015

That's just giving you the tail end of the errors really.  You'll need to read the full set of logs to scan through the detail and see what the root cause it.

aj senol January 7, 2015

thanks for the quick reply Nic, I was thinking that this was "information enough".  when I look though the logs, it appears that i don't have permission to create tables - i followed - I thought - the instructions to the letter.  the only difference between this install and my previous one was that this install is using sql2012 vs sql2008.  so maybe I need more detail on exactly what permissions i need to grant to who/whom so that JIRA can instantiate those tables. 

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2015

Ah, create tables will be a problem with the database user. The easy thing to do is grant the database user full access to the database Jira is going to be using (not database system level, just the right to create tables, insert, delete, select, create indices and the rest). But it's all about the database access at this point.

aj senol January 7, 2015

thanks again Nic. I thought I had all of this squared away. It turned out that the jirauser was created without any permissions whatsoever (not even access permissions for the database?? I didn't remember this at all when i did this years ago. It seemed like the db_owner naturally had all the permissions for the database it created). Perhaps the install instructions should include this little nuance?? now for the 64$ question, i went into the security section for the database in management studio and gave the jirauser ALL permissions - and everything looks like its working. But does the jirauser really need any and all permissions turned on? do you know the minimum set of permissions that the jirauser needs? where are the permissions documented. thanks again Nic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2015

Most of the instructions I've seen include a "grant X to jirauser" in some form or another. But I don't use MS-SQL enough to remember them. If you can translate these from MySQL/PostGreSQL, then it should be fine for running JIRA with MS-SQL as well (I *think* they're mostly the same, but I wouldn't rely on my shonky memories around MS-SQL): * Select * Insert * Update * Delete * Create * Drop * Alter * Index That should give you a locked down minimal set of database permissions. You can actually go further after installation if you're not going to use certain plugins, and lock it down to just insert/update/select/delete, but I wouldn't do it, just in case you do decide to use plugins.

Suggest an answer