how to syncronize from jira to portfolio

Wendy Wingfield March 10, 2016

I am just trying to configure portfolio and I want to understand the best way to set it up so that I can sync automatically (of what is even possible). E.g. update story points from JIRA to Portfolio or from Portfolio back to JIRA, automatically add selected stories to portfolio when they are added to JIRA, etc. Also implications if we group epics in portfolio differently that we group them in Jira.

If there is documentation that explains what the process, please point me in the right direction. I have not been able to find it. Thanks!

Wendy 

1 answer

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2016

Hey Wendy, 

If you're just starting our with Portfolio, I'd recommend checking out the new Live Plans straight away: They are still in labs but publicly available, and it is much easier to set them up and keep them updated with JIRA: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2016/02/real-time-planning-live-plans-portfolio-for-jira/ as you connect them dynamically to one or multiple boards/projects. 

Within Live Plans, whatever happens in JIRA will automatically be reflected in Portfolio (estimates, sprint assignments, priority ranking, release assignments,..). For whatever you change in Portfolio, you'll have an "uncommited change" showing up in the Portfolio header, and then then easily and transparently commit it to JIRA when you're happy with the plan. 

If Live Plans don't yet offer all capabilities you need from Portfolio (we're still working on bringing all existing features back into the new integration model, thus its in labs), for standard plans the best you can do is turn on auto-sync for estimates, summary and description fields: 

•  Go go Plan > Configure > Synchronization settings and turn sync of estimates on for the story level, this should update point estimate bi-directionally 

Next to that, you'll still need to regularly re-import new data (configure a filter you can use, and use the "Exclude already linked issues" setting in the import dialog so that you only see what is not yet in the plan), and also regularly run a Plan > Update from date so that you can tick things that have been completed off your plan. 

From a product perspective, we're clearly focusing on Live Plans as the future direction to avoid this manual work alltogether. 

Also, we have a new Portfolio Pioneers LinkedIn group if you're interested in recent discussions / feedback around Live plans: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7018171

Cheers, Martin (Product Manager for Portfolio for JIRA) 

Suggest an answer