how to simplify the project select and issue type select during creat issue?

linqiang December 11, 2012

Jiras is very popluar in our organization, but recently belows puzzled me and our process manager,

1, as many projects in jira, although we have manager the roles, there are too many(even only two)projects which ready for choose when create issues

2, as many issue types in each projects, there are too many(even only two) types

which ready for choose when create issues

particually for the most least users,which always implicit man complaints even some occasional usage JIRA.

As a general requirement, what should i do?

i have one solution, list all the issue types(which are our process services ) in our portal, but i cannot get the url , which when create different types.

can you help me, thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

What's the JIRA version you're using? I guess it is 4.x

Upgrade to 5.x. In the 'issue type' select lists you can type the issue type and a drop down appears when you start typing. This simplifies the long list. Same thing applies for the Project field also.

Another workaround is to create browser bookmarks for the commonly used project/ issue type combinations. Go to Create issue, select project & issue type, and then click 'Create'. Then bookmark the page which appears.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2012

For the project part of it, look at the permissions. The list of projects you can CREATE an issue in is determined by a simple rule - your user has to have "create issue" permission in that project. To shorten the list, change your permissions to that users only have create rights in the projects they actually need it in.

Issue types are different - there's no permissions there, but there is an "issue type scheme" for each project. That tells Jira what issue types belong in a project. If your list of issue types is too long *after a project has been chosen* then look simplifying at the issue type scheme

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2012

And what Sameera said if you do have to let users have huge long lists of projects

Suggest an answer