how to restrict special symbols like @,#,$,% etc in jira comment

Naman Soni October 31, 2019

I want to remove special symbols from the comment section. How can I do it

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

You would need a script or plugin. 

Naman Soni October 31, 2019

Hi Joe, can you tell me which plugin need to upload?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

I have no idea. I've never tried to restrict text. My advise is to evaluate the underlying reason for this requirement. I don't know your projects, but I can see people wanting to use special characters. If you decide to go forward spend the money for a supported plugin. The free ones may not support JIRA going forward or disappear 

Naman Soni November 3, 2019

Can I restrict @,#,$ etc. at starting of comment?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2019

You can't restrict text at all unless you use a plugin or scripting

Naman Soni November 4, 2019

how to do scripting can you provide some idea?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2019

I don't use scripting. I mostly install JIRA, show people what to do and move on. Many have no programming background so maintaining scripts would be a problem. I suggest you revisit the requirement and what problem are you trying to solve. Every time you add anything special you may need to redo it when you upgrade. If you don't keep pace with JIRA upgrades you won't get the new features and as some people have experienced, you can't upgrade directly to the new release. I've worked on systems so heavily modified it took a year to redo everything for the next release. 

Suggest an answer