how to restrict issue cloning per project in jira??

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

i've already set up permissions to only allow issue linking, which brings "is a cloner of / is cloned by" to developers role

so far so good.

the issue can still be cloned just by selecting "Clone" from the More Actions tab

this is really annoying cause some users here are way too lazy to create a new issue from scratch...they simply clone a resolved one...

11 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Dhananjay Kale March 25, 2014

I have tried this in workflow step's properties -->

jira.permission.create.clone = denied

Its working for me without restricting sub-task creation (took ref from here)

roniz November 28, 2017

Dhananjay Kale,

I want to deny cloning only in a specific project in jira. Is this possible in this way?

Dhananjay Kale November 28, 2017

Yes. But need to make sure that workflow is not shared between the projects.

roniz November 28, 2017

Yes- different workflow!

where should I define this sentence?

(jira.permission.create.clone = denied)

and where should I add the project's name?

roniz November 28, 2017

where can I find the workflow steps properties?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

Edit the workflow, look at the status on the workflow, there is a properties panel

Like Dave Liao likes this
roniz November 28, 2017

great- found it!

and should I put the "(jira.permission.create.clone = denied)"

in the Property key or in the Value key?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2017

Both.  We use the = as a separator here because it's quicker than a screen shot and just as easy to explain.  The string on the left is the property, the one on the right, the value.

Like # people like this
roniz November 29, 2017

thank you very very much!

I will try it!

Sayan Kaiser March 31, 2020

Hi Nic,

I would like to deny clone for all groups and allow for few user groups is that possible as currently I can deny cloning for all users 

thanks,

Sayan

Satheesh Kumar (Wipro) May 19, 2021

is it possible to disable only the "Clone & Move" feature/option?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Yes, turn off or remove the "clone and move" app.

3 votes
Paul.Young June 6, 2019

In current (cloud) Jira, the solution to block cloning for all is:

Property Key: jira.permission.createclone.denied

Property Value: true

Christian Mendez November 27, 2019

This worked for me (2019).

Versicherungskammer Bayern March 23, 2020

jira.permission.createclone.denied is the only key, that doesn't produce a stacktrace, other keys are working but with error in the log file.
You dont need a property value, the value for Jira is the last word in the key after the last point, implizit value is denied
key: jira.permission.createclone.denied
value: none

Like # people like this
1 vote
Dattatray Borude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

Yes, DJ it worked for me too.

0 votes
Sayan Kaiser March 31, 2020

Hi Guys,

I am able to restrict cloning for all users, but I need to unrestrict for some groups. How will I be able to do that ?

0 votes
Artsiom_Tverdakhleb April 15, 2019

jira.permission.create.clone.denied

0 votes
Aaron Sterr October 30, 2014

We have similar issues with cloning In a couple of projects.  Users clone an issue, but then do not have edit permissions to modify key details.  We have good reasons for not granting edit permissions in those projects and we expect our users to "remember" that they should not clone in those projects.

I understand that clone would not be permitted if we remove the "create issues" permission, but we do want our users to be able to create new issues in those projects.

Would it be possible to make the "clone" action depend on both "create issues" and "edit issues" permissions?  

That would solve most of our problem with regards to cloning.

Thank you,

Aaron

0 votes
Dattatray Borude
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

DJ`s solution working... jira.permission.create.clone = denied

0 votes
Dattatray Borude
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

Sounds like you have an answer for your situation. For others, the Clone Plus Plugin for JIRA has a number of customization options which would allow restricting cloning to specific projects. More over, providing project specific clone options to fit better user needs. More info: How to customize

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2016

No need for more expensive addons. Just adding the property jira.permission.create.clone.denied to every status in the workflow seems to do the trick just fine.

roniz November 28, 2017

David Skreiner

I want to deny cloning only in a specific project in jira. Is this possible in this way?

Deepali Bagul April 4, 2018

Hello @roniz,

Just add the properties jira.permission.create.clone = denied to the workflow/s of the specific project. Make sure the workflow is not share by other project. It worked for me.

Infrastructure June 22, 2018

Does this still work ? I've try it on version 7.7, i've put the parameter everywhere on my workflow and it doesn't work ...

I've the same workflow as this ticket and the work arround doesn't work ...

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62200

Saswata CHOWDHURY September 19, 2018

Using properties can we restrict the Clone based on Roles. Say only admin should be able to clone and not others. 

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

You can't disable just "cloning" by workflow properties because there is no separate permission for cloning. It looks for create permission.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

You can't do it on a project by project basis unless you do some coding. i.e. add a condition to the respective web-item in system-issueoperations-plugin.xml.

Or maybe disable the system plugin and define an isue operation in your plugin along with the condition. You can make use of existing classes and jsp files.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

hmm well.

so what is the best approach to restrict "Clone" from "More Actions" or can it be removed from there?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

nice...i just disabled "View Issue Ops Bar Clone Link"

from system issue operations...

thats enough.

Thanks Jobin

Uday Kumar January 14, 2014

Hi Faysal,

Can you please give detailed steps on to disable View Issue Ops Bar Clone Link

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2014
Uday Kumar January 14, 2014

Hi Bob,

Thanks for quick reply. Looks like onDemand we can't disable clone function.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

That is an admin function, so only Atlassian can touch that for OnDemand.

Uday Kumar January 15, 2014

Hi Bob,

Can we disable this on local jira instance and without having plugin

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

Yes, on a download instance, the administrator can disable the shipped clone operation following the instructions.You only need the plugin if you want to replace it with clone operations can be restricted or customized on a project by project basis if that is your need.

Uday Kumar January 15, 2014

Bob, can you please point to instructions

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

How to use clone properties for customization and there is a specific exampe of configuration for a project specific restriction

Like # people like this
0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

i tried setting some properties per issue state...

such as "jira.permission.clone=false" or "jira.permission.link=false"

no effect...

what am i missing?

Suggest an answer