how to remove service desk access for selective users

IVYADMIN October 19, 2016

How to remove service desk access for selective users - when JIRA Package and JIRA Service Desk package has been enabled for all the users (of JIRA package)?

5 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

edit the user in User Management, uncheck portal access. then remove from any JSD projects should achieve this.

0 votes
Sue Marmion November 4, 2016

Hello.  I am having the same problem, also with an On Demand instance.  When I revoke or uncheck access for an individual user to JIRA Service Desk, the system is revoking or unchecking access to JIRA Software as well.  Did you find a resolution?

0 votes
IVYADMIN October 24, 2016

For better clarity, I am highlighting my existing JIRA set up.

As u can see in the new user creation screen, I have two applications (JIRA Service Desk and JIRA software) - as a JIRA OnDemand (Cloud) instance set up.

1. I am trying to create a new user with application access set to 'JIRA Software' ONLY. (Screen shot : )

2. When the user is created and when I view the same from 'Users' screen again, system automatically enables the access for both the applications. (Screen shot : )

3. If I manually remove the access from any one of the application for the same user, I get a pop up message stating access has been removed for THAT application; however, when the pop up display fades off, system removes the access for other application also automatically. (Screen shot :  & )
(Same is the case, when I grant access to any of the application at one time.)

Having said this, my requirement is - To grant / revoke access to any selected application, at a time (without disturbing the access for other applications). ie,

1. To give access to JIRA software ONLY for few users (existing / new)
  2. To give access to JIRA software AND JIRA SD for few other users (existing / new)

(In either case, the users would still need to be mapped to respective projects and its associated groups. 

Note: On next priority for me, I believe point #2 and #3 mentioned above (with screen shots) are defects.

Please help to close this at the earliest.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

Ivy....

thanks for all of the detail. the behavior you convey below is certainly not what I am experiencing and agree it should not be happening. When I create a new user I can select which apps they have access to and it is persistent, i.e. what I selected is what they have once created. Moreover, if I change the access in User Management, removing a single application then that is all that is removed not all as you mentioned. I recommend you open a support request w/ Atlassian at this point. Good Luck!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2016

Your requirements seem straightforward. I'm struggling to understand the problem. If you edit a given user you can select which packages they have access to.

• Restricted Portal Access - the user will not have access to any JIRA applications directly. They will be able to log into the JSD portal and open/view requests
  • JIRA Software, Confluence, etc - access can be given to each individual on their user management page.

NOTE: if in your #2 requirement above when you say give access to JSD, what type of access do you mean. Only Agents have full access. Licensed JSW users can 'collaborate' on JSD issues (browse, comment) but cannot 'work' the issues to closure (assign, transition, etc). Agents, as you know, cost $20/mo each. In the picture below you will see a group I defined for allowing JSW users to have collaboration permissions with JSD projects. You can read more on setting up JSD users and access here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/setting-up-service-desk-users-732528877.html

Maybe this picture will help?

image2016-10-24 7:51:57.png

0 votes
IVYADMIN October 24, 2016

Thanks for your response, Jack. However, this does not help me for my requirement.

If I remove all the application access (JIRA Package and JIRA SD) and enable 'Restricted Portal Access' for a selected user, the system removes this selected user from all the groups that it is associated with and is not able to access any of the projects (to which the group and the user is mapped to). This restricts the main functionality of using the JIRA package as well.

Current scenario : I have JIRA package and JIRA SD packages enabled. Normally, on user creation, by default, the user is mapped to both the packages. In my OnCloud set up, I have groups enabled as per my project in which the users are mapped to these groups.

My Requirement is :-

1. To give access to JIRA package ONLY for few users (existing / new)
  2. To give access to JIRA package AND JIRA SD package for few other users (existing / new)

(In any case, the users would still need to be mapped to respective projects and its associated groups. 

Please help at the earliest - as there is licensing and its equivalent billing impact on this.

Suggest an answer