how to rank epics

Dawn Kinsey April 2, 2015

We have a lot of epics.  There are too many to drag and drop from the epic sidebar.  How can we see epics across projects and prioritize them in JIRA Agile?

3 answers

2 votes
Harry Knott February 13, 2017

You can create a Kanban board to do this - however I'd be interested to see if there is a better way.  If you have a long list (epics or stories) then the current tools (=rank to top, rank to bottom, or manually drag to an appropriate place on the list) are pretty ineffective at ranking a long list

0 votes
Ethan Strominger September 2, 2015

Comments on above: Instead of step 4, right click and select Rank to Top.  If you use the drag and drop method, you have to click "Clear all filters".  If you have other criteria for ranking something to the top, you can use quick filters.

Example:

1. Go to Plan Mode where Epic A and B and their issues are present.
  2. Click on Epic A to see only the issues of Epic A
  3. Select all issues of Epic A by clicking on the first, hold down Shift, and then select the last issue
  4. RIght click and select "Rank to Top"
  5. Unselect the Epic

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2015

This can be achieved today by using the Epic Filtering functionality on Plan Mode, combined with the ability to select multiple issues at once.

Example:

1. Go to Plan Mode where Epic A and B and their issues are present.
  2. Click on Epic A to see only the issues of Epic A
  3. Select all issues of Epic A by clicking on the first, hold down Shift, and then select the last issue
  4. Click and drag the first issue (and thus all of the issues) to the top of the backlog
  5. Unselect the Epic

This should rank all issues of Epic A above other issues.

Christian Schulz April 5, 2016

But this doesn´t rank the epics themselfs.

My request is to get an report where each storie is visible under the epic.

I do it currently with the report "Single Level Group By Report" and it looks ok, but the epics are not sorted.

Also I tried to generate a JIRA issue view in Confluence with the Epic link, but there the link is not displayed like it would be in Jira.

Problem would be solved if ranking of epics would work (and not only ranking of the user stories of the epics)

Any ideas?

Like Laura Heller likes this

Suggest an answer