how to pull subtask description into email automation

Mallory Sydnor September 14, 2022

Attempting to pull the subtask description into an automation email with smart value {{issue.description}}. this only pulls the parent issue description. How do I pull the subtask description into the body of the automation email?

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Mallory Sydnor and welcome to the community,

an automation rule follows a defined path so to say there is a dedicated event/use case when the rule is expected to run. 

Could you describe your use case? Which problem are you solving with your automation rule? What is the trigger of your event?

Furthermore could you please share a screenshot of your current automation rule? That would help the community to get an overview and see how far you´ve come so far and what the rule is processing.

Thanks in advance,

Best
Stefan

William Briere September 14, 2022

I'm not sure how this answer is at all relevant and I'm having the same issue. I'm simply trying to copy a subtask as a template and I need the description so the user knows how to complete the task...

When you pull the fields for a subtask, the description is not included. Removed some info and replaced with ***

"fields": {
"summary": "Test Summary",
"status": {
"self": "***",
"description": "New issue that needs to be triaged.",
"iconUrl": "***",
"name": "Screen",
"id": "1",
"statusCategory": {
"self": "***",
"id": 2,
"key": "new",
"colorName": "blue-gray",
"name": "To Do"
}

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

@William Briere 

The relevant point is that an automation rule´s context/scope depends on the entry point/trigger. Without knowing the whole setting the situation cannot be analyzed accurately.

Nevertheless the behaviour you described is about the same field but seems to happen in another context.

What exactly do you mean by "simply copy as a template"? Do you mean you have a template subtask and whenever a new subtask is created you´d like to copy the values from your template to the newly created subtask?

Best
Stefan

William Briere September 14, 2022

I assumed the OP and myself have the same root cause failure - pulling the data from a subtask results in no description being provided. But it appears my case is different enough I'll open a new question.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events