how to move projects in Jira from a group to another?

Daniel Anghel October 30, 2014

14 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2014

I will explain for the last time as well, I don't know how else I can say it. There is no link between "group" and "issue" If you move user X from group "Team Corporate 1" to group "Team Corporate 2", that's fine, you've moved a user. That has nothing to do with issues. You've got 30-40 issues "allocated" to a user, which I assume means "assigned to that user". There's nothing here to transfer because the issues do not have a relationship with the groups. Groups are sets of users. Nothing to do with issues. Those 30-40 issues will remain allocated to that user, no changes needed, because all you've done is changed his groups. Not the issues.

0 votes
Daniel Anghel November 10, 2014

Thanks for response. I will explain for last time. I have 3 Groups defined in Jira(collection of 7-8 users each group) Team Corporate 1,2,3. I need to move 3-4 users from Team Corporate1 to Team Corporate 2 . After I move an user From Team Corporate 1 to Corporate 2 other user From Corporate 1 will not see again user removed issues. How can I transfer simple an faster 30-40 issues alocated to an user . This user was transfered to Team Corporate 2 and i need to transfer his issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2014

Again, issues do NOT belong to groups. There is no direct association between a group and an issue. As my cousin said, groups are sets of users. That's it. There is no link between a set of users and an issue built into Jira in any way. In other words, I don't understand why you keep asking about this relationship because I don't know how *you* are defining it. Off-the-shelf, Jira has nothing to link groups and issues directly, so the phrase "move issues to another group" is complete nonsense. You need to explain what you mean by groups, and exactly how *you* have connected them to issues.

0 votes
Daniel Anghel November 9, 2014

How can i move issues from two groups and the Project is the same. Is a bulk move? to move issues to another group in the same Project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2014

Admin users have the rights to administrate the system, not mess with project/issue data - that's project permissions. You need to make sure that your user has the "move" permission in the source project and "create" in the target permission.

0 votes
Daniel Anghel November 7, 2014

I try to move an Issues with my administrator user but" N/A Move Issues NOTE: You do not have the permission to move one or more of the selected issues. " How can i move this issues?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2014

No. Or, rather, "possibly". It depends on how you have set up your permission schemes.

0 votes
Daniel Anghel November 5, 2014

If a user is in two groups in Jira can not view all issues from these groups only the default group. It is true?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2014

Try a search for "reporter = x or assignee = x", then look at the "tools" menu for "bulk edit", which will include the option to move issues. I've no idea what "is indicated that a person to be member only for 1 group"

0 votes
Daniel Anghel October 31, 2014

Thanks a lot Andy an Alice. I am a beginner in Jira. How can I search for a user issues(assigned, reporter). Is indicated that a person to be member only for 1 Group? Alice can you describe for a beginner in detail stage 2? Many thanks!! I want to search all issues for a user and move them.

0 votes
Nic Brough (Adaptavist) October 31, 2014

Ok, you're thinking about this back-to-front. Groups are groups of people, not projects. You don't move a project between groups, you need to organise your users as desired and then, separately consider what to do with any issues. If you do decide to do what you've written here, then 1. Remove the user from group 1 and put him in group 2 2. Search for all of this persons issues (I guess you mean he's the reporter), and bulk move them from project A to project B 3. Forget the idea "move projects", there's nothing to do at that level

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2014

If you have a common user directory, you need make those users available in your second instance.

If you have users that are available in the second instance, they need to be added to the new group in that instance.

To get the projects moved over, you'll need to do a full backup and import the target project in the second instance.

But. There may be issues with 'other' participants, mis-matches in custom fields etc.

0 votes
Daniel Anghel October 30, 2014

In my Organisation i have groups in Jira ex: Jira-Corporate Team1 with 7-8 users. These groups are also in Active Directory. I need to relocate users from a group to another ex Jira-Corporate Team 1 to Jira-Corporate Team2. Also after moving an user to another Group i need to move either his projects with issues. Users from Jira-Corporate Team 1 does not seen projects from Jira-Corporate Team 2. I need to move users from Groups but also his projects.

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

I think you need to expand the description a little, 'from a group' what does that mean, are you referring to the Project Category, 'ownership' in some way? I really think "questions" should mandate descriptions as its not easy to get the full picture from one short sentence!

Suggest an answer