how to modify the user who has commented on an issue and is now deleted?

Ananda January 16, 2013

I have to bulk edit issues by changing the reporter and assignee(User A) in a project to a User B, and then delete the initial reporter and assignee(User A), what would happen to the comments which were posted by the user A?

Is it possible to modify the name of the person who has commented else how would they appear for closed tickets?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Comments of deleted users will not be deleted from JIRA. Their names will still be there. Im afraid if u want to change the names of the commenters (who have been deleted) would be to modify them in the database.

Ananda January 16, 2013

Thanks daniel, if the names of the deleted user exist in the comments without the user existing in JIRA, then i don't need to modify the names of the commenters.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2013

If the user is deleted you'll get an sql error when displaying the history information as the database just keeps the primary key of the user, not the actual user name. Deleting users breaks that pointer. Users shouldn't be deleted, just removed from all groups and roles used by projects. I setup a special group with a name like Inactive-users that isn't used for any permissions and put them in that.

Suggest an answer