how to mention a JIRA issue?

Davide Paleari March 31, 2015

Hi,

I saw that Atlassian Support often mention othher JIRA issues in their issues. How do you do that? In the documentation I only found how to mention a user.

Thank you, best regards

28 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
niroshabandaru March 31, 2015

Hi Davide,

Please put <ticket no.|URL of the ticket> in square braces  in the comments.

Let me know if this solves your purpose.

Martin August 7, 2015

I don't think this is the most modern and efficient way to mention a JIRA issue in a comment.

Like # people like this
Alexey Zimarev August 22, 2016

Just writing the issue code is enough, JIRA recognizes it and makes a link of it. It will not create a full pledged issue link though.

Like # people like this
Ranu QA July 26, 2017

Martin,

I tried the same way but it is displying link as a text.

I want to link other issue in a comment. 

Please suggest if you know any other way

Like Franco Sabadini likes this
Chris Fairclough March 5, 2018

In my previous company just typing the issue code into the comment created a shortcut with summary on hover, and also automatically created an issue link. This saved A LOT of time. I'm an admin on the jira instance in a new company and I don't see a way to set this up - was it broken with an update or something?

A plugin or a way to configure the desired behaviour would be great. Manually making a link is not a nice answer to this question.

Like # people like this
Richard Segerlund May 23, 2018

I have the same experience as Chris.

I work in two different Jira instances - one from my own company and one from a customers company.

In my companys Jira I can write issue number i.e. "ABC-123" and I get a link to the issue and shows a status. See image below:

Link_To_Issue.png

I my customers Jira I get nothing of this.

I understand this is settings or a plug-in. Can someone help me how to set ut this in my customers Jira?

Like # people like this
Chris Fairclough May 23, 2018

Richard, I updated with this comment #M242463 on how to get part of the behaviour I want. Make sure you use the wiki renderer as Francis suggests #M241346

Richard Segerlund May 23, 2018

Chris, I have checked and WIki render is used in both Comment and Description.

I have tried with square brackets from differnt views, but it does not work in any place (in my customer Jira).

Thanks for you time Chris.

Like Jay likes this
Emma Eriksson September 4, 2018

Hi,

I would also like to know why this is not working for us.

We have confirmed the render type is wiki style, but typing ABC-123 or [ABC-123] does not create a link to an issue in a comment field, or an issue description field.

Previously at another clients jira, also in the cloud we were able to link to issues in comments.

Whats up here - is there anything we need to do to make this work or is it an issue with the renderer?

Like # people like this
Jonathan BAILLEUL September 6, 2018

Not working for me :/

It's sad to struggle for such basic features.

Like # people like this
Deleted user September 20, 2018

@Richard Segerlund

In my previous company, I was able to do same exactly as you say.

Kory Paulsen May 3, 2019

If I switch to the old issue view (append '?oldIssueView=true' to the issue URL), then ticket IDs (ex: SM-70) in the issue description & comments are automatically converted  to fancy links (Link_To_Issue.png) ... but the (getting old) new view just leaves ticket IDs as plain text.  Is not auto-linking tickets one of the "features" of the "new" view?

Like # people like this
Ellen Davnall May 9, 2019

I have exactly the same experience as Kory - If I mention an issue key in a comment or description in old view it will automatically link it beautifully with the ticket summary.  If I revert to new view, the link even stays in that useful form. 

But if I try to add an issue key in a description or comment in new view, it doesn't automatically link.  Square brackets don't seem to have any effect - they just render as square brackets. 

I have checked my project settings and both fields are set to Wiki Style Renderer as specified.

It would be helpful to get a straight answer: is the automatic issue linking broken in new view?  If so, I can steer those of my colleagues who are (understandably) big fans of auto-linking back to old view.

Like # people like this
Jerard King June 27, 2019

Same here, I'm going back to the old view.  Being able to mention  JIRA by id saves a great deal of time and that what my team needs.

Like # people like this
Fabrice Dutron July 5, 2019

Incredible, can not believe that they change this with no alternative except go back to the old view in your profile.

Like # people like this
Sebastian Beca July 24, 2019

Still [unresolved].

Like # people like this
bilow August 13, 2019

The way I found to fix this was to use CMD-K to open a link, which opened up a menu where I could type in the issue number.

Like # people like this
Thomas Mansencal September 12, 2019

This does not seem to work anymore since a few days.

Like # people like this
Alexis Waterhouse October 10, 2019

Frustrating this doesn't work anymore. Used to use this all the time, will switch back to old view as others have done. Would really like to just continue using new view though and be able to use this feature. Quickly linking other issues is a preference though over new view. 

Like # people like this
Christoph Kuhnke October 17, 2019

UNBELIEVABLE!

I will engage in my company to switch to a different tool.

This really sucks!

Bye, bye, Jira!

Like _db_ likes this
_db_ October 17, 2019

I already did and we are not using jira anymore.  All I got from Atlassian help forums is endless useless answers or playing stupid from their staff.  This product is not what I used to use 2 yrs ago anymore!  It sucks 

Like Christoph Kuhnke likes this
Christoph Kuhnke October 17, 2019

Hi _db_, is it OK to ask you for a hint about what *are* you using now?

:)

Like # people like this
Mayra Swann October 18, 2019

The solution below works, use the url instead of the ticket number. I don't understand why this one still shows as the answer...

16 votes
Matthis Thorade October 18, 2019

Mentioning Jira issues does work already, it just is a bit buggy!

All you have to do is put the Ticket ID like TML-384 in the description or comment field, followed by a white space. The white space or line break is necessary, otherwise it does not work.

Also, please note that the ticket ID has to be written with a normal dash (minus sign), sometimes Jira also uses some special dash, so if conversion does nto work please also try typing the same ID manually.

With those easy rulse it works for me all the time.

Chris Fairclough October 18, 2019

The above works for me now on JIRA cloud. Since this ticket was opened it has been fixed. It didn't work until earlier this year, in both the backlog and issue views it seems fine now.

Like Matthis Thorade likes this
Alexis Waterhouse October 20, 2019

@Matthis Thorade thank you so much! Putting the space after the code in the comments works for me. 

Tom Smith November 21, 2019

Fabulous!  Laboriously waded through this thread when I noticed that some ticket ids weren't turning to links.  @Atlassian please fix this - Nobody tested putting a ticket id at the end of a sentence?

Christoph Kuhnke November 21, 2019

Thanks, yes. The space also worked for me - great!

But I agree to Tom Smith - thorough testing doesn't seem to be Atlassian's favorite discipline :) 

Josh McCullough April 29, 2020

This should be the accepted/top answer. All the others suggesting adding a hard link are just wrong. That will fix the issue, but it's not the correct way to do this. E.g. if you rename a project or move to a new domain, etc. then all those hard-links will be broken.

Like Askar Kalykov likes this
12 votes
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2015

Hello Davide,

You should be able to do it by pasting the issue URL on the ticket or by mentioning the ticket key, for example:

Let's say the issue key is JSP-0001 and the URL is http://mycompany.atlassian.net/browse/JSP-0001

In this case you should be able to mention the ticket by pasting the whole URL of the ticket or by mentioning only the ticket key, so JIRA will understand the mention and create the link to the other issue.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you, Davide.

I hope it helps

Eduardo

Deleted user September 20, 2018

That is clear Eduardo but I was able to just type @JSP-0001 and that would create link to it for me automatically without me having to copy past it.

Like # people like this
Mayra Swann May 22, 2019

Worked for me, on old and new views. :)

Like # people like this
Pouria Almassi June 20, 2019

Yes pasting the entire URL works. However, what is the syntax for shorthand using just the issue id? As Dino mentions I tried @PROJ-0001 but that did not work. Nor did PROJ-0001, #PROJ-0001

Like # people like this
Mayra Swann June 21, 2019

I think they removed that functionality in the new view. Before, just writing PROJ-0001 was enough and I think it still works on old views, but anyone looking in the new view see only text.

Like # people like this
Jay July 24, 2019

Thanks Eduardo, but copy and pasting full URL's is surely a work around and not a fix to functionality that worked in the old view and no longer works in the new view?

is there a new view roadmap (similar to the nextgen roadmap) that you could like this ticket to so Users can see when it is likely we will get the same level of tagging?

Like # people like this
_db_ October 17, 2019

as expected, the conversation is fruitless just as these forums

Like Askar Kalykov likes this
Ari Gesher December 13, 2019

I just recorded a movie of it failing.  You can see the link render as the page loads and then get stripped off (presumably as some javascript fires):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6b7ob9mais5pk1/bad-jira-links.mov?dl=0

borgdrone7 March 2, 2020

Is there more basic feature than this in ticketing system? This is really unbelievable. I think this is some kind of joke as Atlassian simply cannot seriously not have this feature. Atlassian, ok we laughed enough, joke aside, how to mention the issues? 

6 votes
DavidT January 3, 2017

I've tried adding "[key-num]" as well as "[full url]" link styles to my JIRA issue comments, and am not having any luck getting nice looking issue summaries inline. It's just creating plain old links for me. I've read this thread and there doesn't appear to be a complete answer to the question of how this is set up in a cloud-based JIRA account. It certainly isn't working for me in our default config... Thanks,

Dave

5 votes
Tarandeep Singh August 14, 2017

## Just put story or bug or task name similar to what you see in the link. 

for eg. if your link is

https://goeuro.atlassian.net/browse/COROBO-502

then in the comments or description just use. 

COROBO-502

Thanks

Joost Okkinga October 31, 2019

That worked untill 2 days ago. Not anymore. Now all my autolinks no longer look like mentions but as hyperlink. So annoying..

Like Mayra Swann likes this
Mayra Swann October 31, 2019

Same here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matthis Thorade October 31, 2019

Can you try if it works if there is white space after the ID? Either space or line break

Mayra Swann October 31, 2019

No, it didn't :(

Ari Gesher December 13, 2019

Can confirm this is broken on a cloud server.  I can actually see the page render a link as it loads and then remove it.  So close yet so far away...

Here's a movie of it happening:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6b7ob9mais5pk1/bad-jira-links.mov?dl=0

3 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2018

Could you check what the renderer of the comment field is.

* Admin -> Field Configurations -> The field configuration of your project -> Find Comments

It should be wiki renderer

2018-03-05_17-28-08 (1).png

The wiki renderer will identify issuekey's and convert it to a link

Chris Fairclough March 8, 2018

I figured out that if I open an issue in its own tab it works when I type the issuecode inside square brackets into a comment. This doesn't work if I have an issue open in backlog view and try to comment in there. This is with the wiki renderer turned on for comments.

What I saw in another installation before, was that you could achieve this without the square brackets and in all comments no matter what the view. How might that be done do you know ?

Like # people like this
kmcnamee November 13, 2018

This is the problem we have. Opening the issue in its own tab solved the problem. However, I did not need the square brackets.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
2 votes
Akshay Anurag March 14, 2019

You need to write it as

Some text ABC-111

Where ABC-111 is the id of the issue.

2 votes
Jeff December 5, 2018

In my case, wherever I had copied the ticket identifiers from (within JIRA itself?) had inserted a "Zero-width non-joiner" character in between the project key and the dash. This character is completely invisible and the only hint I had that it was there was that pasting it into the URL bar caused JIRA to tell me the ticket didn't exist, while typing the ticket number myself allowed it to work. If you have a bookmarklet like me, use some javascript like this to clean it up.

Christian Biggins February 4, 2019

This!

Once I started typing the issue numbers the auto linking worked again. Thanks Jeff.

Arnold Roa February 13, 2019

Yes this is so annoying!! 

Erik Vanderstraeten October 30, 2020

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but this is still the case!
I want to use automation to add the portal link of a service desk issue to a related jira software issue.

But when using issue.url, this "zero-width non-joiner" character between the project key and dash makes the url not usable. 

1 vote
Linson Ittoop June 19, 2020

Mention the issue id within the square brackets.

For example: [Ticket-100]

1 vote
Adam R November 21, 2019

as of 22nd November 2019 , it looks like [MT-123] works. 

eg. "["+your ticket code+"]"

1 vote
Bekhruz Khusainov October 31, 2019

got the same problem. I used the URL in the description and it showed me the status of the ticket. But since yesterday, those links don't work anymore and given as simple link to the ticket without status information. Does anybody had similar problem recently?

It really sucks to have such a primitive problems annoying users alot for a long time, try to fix it already, JIRA team.

1 vote
Deleted user July 8, 2019

Terrible!  So much messaging back and fort and pollution for such simple functionality.  I used to be able to ping a user or ticket by simply typing @User or @ticketNumber.  

1 vote
Anatoly Spektor May 29, 2019

I was struggling with this for a while. I think at some point #ISSUE was working, then [ISSUE], now I found couple ways it works both with actual links.

I have put all my attempts into the video, in case someone finds this way easier to learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USj7HKy1u6w

1 vote
Anand_Sasi March 12, 2019

Entering issue number in square brackets like [ABC-100] work, but Jira converts it to an issue link after you post the comment. Until then you will see it as just plain text.

Just wasted 2 hours on this without saving the comment. Jira converts user mentions without saving the comment and I assumed issue linking would also work the same way.

0 votes
Vinod Kumar May 17, 2021

Hi

putting ticket number in square bracket works for me.

for eg:

[VK-3456]

0 votes
Collin Horn December 15, 2020

Just type in the name of the ticket (Example: CC-203) and once you submit the comment, the text will automatically link to the ticket. 

0 votes
wejus November 30, 2020

What worked for me is to click on the issue in Jira and then choose Share > Copy Link.

Pasting that link into Confluence got it to recognize properly.

Simply adding the issue ID (ABC-123 or [ABC-123]) did not work for me, even with white space after it.

0 votes
Kliinnglills Kliinnglills August 26, 2019

Hello everybody,

another one new option to mention issues within text fields (with Wiki Style Renderer) is to use a free visual card app for Jira Server from Atlassian Marketplace. We developed this app for us to make issue mention more informative.

0 votes
Matthis Thorade July 24, 2019

For me it works if I hit Enter after entering the ID, but it does not work if the ID is the on the last line it seems. Should be easy to fix!

EDIT: Several weeks later I understood there has to be white space (space or line break) after the ID to get the automatic conversion

0 votes
Pavel Bryukhanov July 8, 2019

You can always just use link button. 

https://youtu.be/1416Mw38I84

0 votes
Leonard Collins July 3, 2019

Excellent. Thanks.

0 votes
Francis Miller June 20, 2016

Maybe something went wrong over the week-end with the Atlassian cloud instance of JIRA & Confluence, but it seems like I lost my inline link's summary for a peculiar reason.

If I look at a JIRA Description, I get this :

jira_issue_summary_01.png

and under Confluence I get this :

jira_issue_summary_02.png

Before we installed confluence, the link summary in JIRA was perfect and verbose, suddenly or after a potential bad move of one of our admin, our JIRA's links are broken.

I can't find anywhere to configure them.  I don't have jira.projectkey.pattern in my advance settings and no way to add any.

Any help on this will be really welcome laugh

Like Joost Okkinga likes this
0 votes
Deleted user January 27, 2016

Hi @Andre Borzzatto

How do you enable inline summary?

0 votes
Davide Paleari April 1, 2015

Hi Gabriele,

I cannot see any Advance Settings in the General Configurations. In the Atlassian documentation I found that The Advanced Settings button is only visible if you have the JIRA System Administrators global permission. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Configuring+JIRA+Options), but in my instance there is no trace of JIRA System Administrators  permission (neither the administrator who created the instance has it). Could you please tell me how can I modify the Advance Settings ?

Thanks, regards

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2015

There is configuration in JIRA on how tickets should look like (General Configuration > Advance Settings > jira.projectkey.pattern". Check if you are using this pattern in your JIRA Comments.

0 votes
Davide Paleari March 31, 2015

Hi niroshabandaru, thanks for your feedback. I cannot do that in Jira, but it work in Confluence and here .This is the result: SAAS-809: different from the one I used to see when Atlassian mention issues, though.

Suggest an answer