how to manage user management in Jira

SallyD February 16, 2016

I have 12 pages of users in Jira.  Through evolution and acquisition, there are MANY inactive users that cannot be deleted because their names are on various items in JIRA and Confluence. How on earth do you manage this list?  I can't hide inactive.  I can't sort the columns to see who has never logged in.  I can't export the list to csv so that I can do these things. 

I must be missing the secret sauce here.  It can't have the ability to manage thousands of users without some basic list management capabilities. What am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

It has never been advised to delete an account in JIRA, even the system itself will not allow you to (you will notice this when that account has some sort of any activity in JIRA like comments, assignee, reporter etc...) and for a very good reason, data integrity. You will be breaking, losing and destroying a JIRA issue's history and everything what happened.

The trick here though is to update the status of invalid accounts to "Inactive" so that it will not take up your licenses. You can also remove them from the "jira-users" group so that you can easily filter which accounts are active. Are you using internal authentication or LDAP? You can create a script to determine which accounts are valid or not, start there.

SallyD February 18, 2016

I agree with everything you said.  I have marked them as inactive. I am not connected to LDAP.  JIRA is installed in a 3rd-party data center.  IT will not allow connection with LDAP.

I was hoping for some VERY basic table controls that would allow me to track usage, identify accounts that have not logged in for several months, or not logged in ever.  Sounds like it is not there. Surprising.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

You can always put in a suggestion to Atlassian and let's see what they think about it smile Support.atlassian.com

Farhan Ghazi June 9, 2016

You avoided the question completely. A sorting functionality on the user management module has its own benefits and that is not only used to delete users (which isn't a feature anyway).

For user management, I want to sort users by their names or email addresses or last session to see who was given access and not using it.

JIRA licenses are NOT free. I need to know who is using a license and not using the application, so that a license is not getting wasted.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2016

I did not avoid it, I did however, say why it's bad to delete users because she said it. I eventually answer that you can create a script for it. Finally, I also added that you can submit a suggestion to Atlassian for additional features on user management, like what you are saying here.

Suggest an answer