how to manage documentation and test issues?

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

Hi, I am trying to find the best way to manage a complicated workflow and I need advices from more experienced users.

Here's the situation: For most of development issues, tests have to be performed and documentation has to be written.

I thought of to different ways of managing that in Jira:

1. Using the plugin "Create On Transition for JIRA" to automatically create a test subtask and a doc subtask (or linked issues), when a development issue gets resolved.

2. Adding custom fields in development issue ("doc has to be written": yes/no, "doc finished":yes/no, "doc assignee",...)

Did anybody already have to deal with a similar situation? What would you recommend me to do?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

Either way should be fine. As long as you have the right workflow conditions and/or validators to make sure that the documentation and test issues have been completed before moving the main issue.

Another way is to include this process into your workflow and not let it split up into subtasks.

Pierre Cattin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2013

Thank you for your answer. I think I will choose the first option as the second one could become confusing.

I also thought of including these task in the developpment issue's workflow, but the problem is that I would need the workflow to have "parallel roads", as the doc task and test tasks can be performed at the same time, and it's not possible in Jira.

Suggest an answer