how to make a board that is private?

Chen Yosef January 18, 2018

I would like to make a board of my daily task without the ability of other members to view my task.

Would love if someone can explain simply how to do it?

Thanks in advance

chen

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2020

Hello Everyone,

Here's a detailed step-by-step to achieve the instructions provided by Alexey and properly configure a Board as private:

1. Navigate to the board > Click on the three dots icon (...) > Board Settings:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 16.03.49.png
  2. In the General tab, click on Edit filter query:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 16.05.01.png
  3. On the Filter query, click on Details > Edit Permissions:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 16.06.48.png
  4. Add the restrictions to the groups/projects you want or choose Private to allow only your user to access the board
  5. Save the restrictions you added

Best regards.

Petter Gonçalves - Atlassian Support

Christos_Stentoumis December 14, 2020

Hi, thanks for this post, it is really helpful. I can set my board to private, but
1. Can I set a project to private, or only to specific users?
2. Can I have a private project hidden even from the administrators?

Like # people like this
Reinier van Vliet February 6, 2021

Would the separate tasks/stories/epics then not still be visible for others using a different filter?

Manoj Khot February 7, 2023

Thanks for the post.

That resolved my problem.

Like debbie.amushan likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

Visibility of a borad is defined by the filter which is linked to the board. Create your own filter and do not share it with other users. Then create a borad which is based on your filter. Users will not be able to see the board.

Chen Yosef January 18, 2018

thank you Alexey, I am new to Jira. could you explain how I reach the exact location to define the filter? i have attempted through the setting of the board but managed to remove administrators but couldnt add a single new person for my project

thank you for your help 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

Go to the board configuration and then to the general tab. You will find the filter there.

Chen Yosef January 23, 2018

hi Alexey 

unfortunately we have made all the changes you offered but it is still visible to our workers. 

any idea why?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Do you mean that users can open the board and see issues there?

Chen Yosef January 23, 2018

yes

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

And can they open the filter which is set for the board?

Suggest an answer