how to increase jira-cloud issue-field characters limit

Hi we are developing a jira-cloud plugging using atlassian-connect framework. In here we are creating custom-field ( issue-field ). The data type of that field is string. Problem is we can't create new jira-issue through the jira-rest api, because we got an error message which says "The entered text is too long. It exceeds the allowed limit of 255 characters." Could you please tell is there any way to increase issue-field characters limit on jira-cloud or set it to unlimit.

1 answer

0 votes

Use the field type "text" instead - String is the short text custom field, text is the unlimited one.

We have to use string because we need to render the content of that custom-field as html. text data type does not support for that.

I don't understand that.  A string field holds a string.  A text field holds a load of text (i.e. a longer string).  Code to render a short text field as a block of html will work fine for longer chunks of text.

But, the answer remains the same.  The only way to go over the 255 limit is to use the text area.

Our main requirement is string content must be render as html. as a example assume field value is <a>App</a>. This value should be render as a html link in the jira issue. This is works fine but problem is we can't put long string content for this field

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 26, 2017

As @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] said the only way is to use a text field. If you were on your own server you could modify (not recommended) the source code. 

Text and string fields render as html in Jira and give you plain text to work with in your application.

Use a text area field.  I don't understand what your problem with html is, you need to explain why it's a problem and why your application code can't handle it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

456 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you