how to import test steps into JIRA using the CSV files format

Ahmed Rasul March 26, 2015

I am trying to import issues with test steps into JIRA via the Import Issues from CSV option under Issues menu.  I am not able to find the option to specify test steps headers options when checking the options in JIRA.  Does anyone know how to do this in JIRA? I am using JIRA v6.3.10 and JIRA Agile v6.6.51 cloud version.  Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Chad Gage March 26, 2015

I recently imported test cases into JIRA.  You can use the 'Wiki'-type tagging

to create a table in a Step field.  

1) have your Admin create a field called 'Steps'

2) import from excel a column called steps for each test case

3) Tag the first line with '|| Actions || Expected Results ||' followed by the next line  '| <insert your steps here> | <insert your Expected Result here> |, next line, |etc...actions| etc...Expected Result |...

4) Note - JIRA throws away all line feed characters, so when you get into JIRA you will have to edit the step to put in new lines.

Does this look like what you want? PX-320_TestCase.png

Olga Buslovich April 22, 2015

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Chad! It is very helpful! I'm trying to map the import file (test cases w/ steps) and getting lots of errors due to the column headers mismatch. Would you mind sharing the entire header (a first line) of your Excel ?

Bala Sivaramakrishna June 3, 2015

I was able to create a table and add the steps there but is there any way that we can move these to test details section? We need them under test details section while test execution.

Carmen Haines July 15, 2015

Hi, can you show us a print screen of your csv file showing the column headings. You mentioned the Steps which I have, but not sure how to put them in the csv so an example with a couple of steps going to the same test case would be so helpful. Can you help?

Suggest an answer