how to import from CVS the time a person has worked in a particular task

Jenny Ardila July 12, 2017

Hi Support,

We are tryning to find a way to import from CVS the time a person has worked in a particular task - E,g Task1 a person may have worked on this for 200 days and have X time per day allocated. Is this possible?

2 answers

0 votes
marton_lipcsik November 9, 2017

Here is my sample for worklog CSV import. The first line is the CSV header, the next lines are the data for worklog entries.

There are some required columns for the CSV importer, you have to place in your CSV. That is why the "project_name", "project_type", "project_key", and "Summary" columns are in the CSV.

What info do you need for a worklog entry?

1.) ISSUE the user worked on->"issue_key" column

2/a worklog entry description
2/b Day of work
2/c time the work started 
2/d user who worked 
2/e work duration (JIRA only accepts in seconds)

the 2.) a+b+c+d+e data is in the "Worklog" column

You can see, the column delimiter is (,), but inside the "Worklog" column the worklog entry data delimiter is (;)

The Summary column contains the summary field text of the ISSUE where you want to import the worklog entry.

project_name,project_type,project_key,issue_key,Summary,Worklog
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description1;2017.11.09 12:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description2;2017.11.09 13:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description3;2017.11.09 14:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description4;2017.11.09 12:30;mlipcsik;3600

CSV import steps:

1.) Select the CSV file and [Next] button

2.) Select "Defined in CSV" on the "Import to project" option

3.) Date format is dispayed the system default date format, and you have to use the same format in your CSV. My date format is "yyyy.MM.dd HH:mm", that is why I use "2017.11.09 12:30" in my CSV

[Next] button

4.) JIRA field mapping page, map the fields like this:

CSV field - JIRA field

Summary - Summary

Worklog - Worklog (in seconds)

issue_key - Issue Key

project_type - Project type

project_key - Project key

project_name - Project name

I did not checked any "Map field value" options, but it also works, if you check it.

[Next] button

[Begin import]

Result

From all CSV line (except the header) a new worklog entry has been created. The worklog entry appears on the ISSUE page (also in the Tempo section and on the Worklogs pane if you have Tempo add-on installed, and Tempo budget folio automatically shows the loaded HR costs.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

Hi Jenny,

In the Importing data from CSV knowledge base article there is a section titled Importing worklog entries that may be of assistance:

Importing worklog entries

Your CSV file can contain worklog entries. For example:

Summary,Worklog
Only time spent (one hour),3600
With a date and an author,2012-02-10 12:30:10;wseliga;120
With an additional comment,Testing took me 3 days;2012-02-10 12:30:10;wseliga;259200

Note: To track time spent, you need to use seconds.

If you are trying to update an existing issue you can refer to the Updating existing issues section for infomration on how to update issues via CSV that already exist in JIRA.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer