how to find number of concurrent users accessing JIRA

Naga Purna Chander Inguva May 2, 2016

Hi All,

We are using JIRA on Windows Server 2012 R2. To check if we are having right hardware configured for our JIRA instance referring to https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

We need to come up with a report of number of Concurrent Users accessing JIRA on a daily basis?

Is there any command similar to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/determining-the-number-of-concurrent-web-requests-54362290.html but for Windows.

or Any tool that determines the number of concurrent users ?

Regards

Chander Inguva

2 answers

1 vote
Edward Lazor August 9, 2018

I realize this is an old threat, but anyone else who comes here might like to know that JIRA now has a page that displays which users are currently logged into the system and you can use this to determine current concurrent user totals.

The Concurrent User Sessions in Jira is available in Administration under System > User Sessions.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

Concurrent web requests are not the same as actual users, and, they're not really that useful a measure for sizing your JIRA.  Users have different patterns of usage and complexity of tasks.  "go to issue, click edit, commit change" would be seen as three hits, but so would "run complicated query, modify it, run again".  They're going to give you totally different patterns of load. 

On the sizing page, it's not basing the recommendations on concurrent usage, it's basing it on how many active users you have - as in "who can log in as a user".

Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

Thanks for your reply Nic. Despite sizing JIRA, we still want to know command / tool to identify number of concurrent http requests just as we have one for unix as https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/determining-the-number-of-concurrent-web-requests-54362290.html

Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

Are you sure about that, @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]? The sizing page now lists explicitly "Active (Concurrent) Users".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

I am actually.  A couple of years ago, I worked with a pair of JIRA systems running on identical kit, with very similar numbers of concurrent users.  One worked fine, the other didn't, due to load.  The overloaded one had 10 times the number of active users and was being used to do very clever things.  Concurrent usage told us nothing useful about sizing it, but the number of licenced users absolutely did!

Anyway, the way to get the number of concurrent users is the same.  Use netstat, but look for your JIRA  port instead.  As far as I can remember, Windows has a version of netstat distributed with it by default (although I've not tried it on Windows 10)

Ramakrishna Rao August 25, 2016

Thanks for information.

The command which you shared me not accurate for each web request count is taking.

I have observed that using atlassian-jira-security.log can find out how many users logged in to JIRA by Splunk tool.

Is there any other way to get these details automatically. Please advise.

Cheers,

Rama

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2016

No, and the log you're looking at does not answer the question asked either - the number of users using it is not a useful measure of load.

Ramakrishna Rao August 26, 2016

Then how to get the user license details of Atlassian tools.

I need to know how many users logged per day.

cheer,

Rama

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2016

That's not particularly useful either, if you're looking at load or usage, but the answer to that is above anywya.

I want to ask what you're actually trying to work out here?  What question are you trying to answer, and why?

Suggest an answer