How to export Jira issues to CSV

Nic Olson February 20, 2017

Last week I was able to export issues to CSV format.  Now that featue is missing from the export dropdown list.  How can I export to CSV?

18 answers

1 accepted

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Hi everyone,

We have identified this topic as a highly viewed Community post. In order to better serve all users that come across this post, here is an updated answer I hope will address the majority of visitors to this thread.

Yes, you can export Jira issues into a CSV format. The most direct way to do this is to first open the issue navigator and search for the issues you want to export.

In Jira Server/Data Center you can go to the top navigator bar and choose Issues → Search for issues.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 5.34.32 PM.png

In Jira Cloud today, the top navigation bar has this under Filters → Advanced issues search.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 5.36.30 PM.png

In either platform, Cloud or Server/Data Center, the URL of this page will be https://[$yoursiteURL]/issues/

Next you will want to search for the issues you want to export. Personally I prefer the Advanced Search mode that let’s you use JQL search here. So if you want to see all the issues in a project you can use

project=XYZ

or if you want to try to see all the issues in Jira, use something like

ORDER BY created

And then be sure to click the Search button.

Side note: JQL will only show you issues that your account has permission to view. That means if your account does not have browse permission on a project in question, or there is a security scheme in place that prevents you from seeing one or multiple issues, the JQL search results will not show those issues to you in these search results. This method of exporting issue data only applies to issues you have permission to see.

2nd side note about searching for ALL issues: Previous versions of Jira would almost always allow you to enter in an empty or blank JQL search in order to return all issues you can see. However for really large sites we found that doing this can sometimes cause performance problems to constantly try to return all the issues in a system, hence the use of the “ORDER BY created” JQL will still return all the issues, even if your Jira site might have disabled the ability to execute a blank JQL query.

Once you have completed the search you want, the top right corner of the Issue navigator page will have an Export button.

Server/Data Center export:

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.57.50 PM.png

Cloud export:

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.57.00 PM.png

Click that Export button and you can select from various formats to export this data, including CSV (if in Server/Data Center) or Excel CSV (if in Jira Cloud). The output here will be in a CSV format.

I hope this helps.

Andy

rthorrington May 5, 2022

Hi Andy, exporting issues into CSV seems to be limited to 1,000 issues? Is there a way in Cloud JIRA of exporting *all* issues that are included in the filter?

i.e. I have about 8,000 issues I'd like to export into a single CSV file..

Like # people like this
John Scott (Concord) June 30, 2023

How do you export all items.. still limits to 1000.

9 votes
Nick Sutcliffe November 6, 2018

I use JIRA cloud - having clicked onto all issues from the JIRA board, I then had to switch to Advanced Search using the option on the top right, before I could get the export buttons, see screenshots below.

jiraAdvancedSearch.pngjiraExportFound.PNG

iinterchange.support September 25, 2019

How to export list of issue in customer portal ?

Like # people like this
Karen Wong January 21, 2020

Thank you for this. Can't believe how hard it was to find

Like # people like this
9 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2017

Hello. I understand how this can be confusing because there are several types of "Export" drop downs. For exporting issues you can export to .csv by following these steps:

1. Go to the board or project you wish to export
  2. On the left side, click on Issues
  3. On the top right of your screen, click on "View all issues and filters"
  4. On the top right of your screen, click on the "Export" drop down.
  5. You can export via Printable, Full Content, RSS, CSV, XML, Word or Dashboard Charts.
    image2017-2-20 13:52:54.png

I hope you find this helpful!

Nic Olson February 22, 2017

I am using JIRA Cloud version.  The screen print of the Export dropdown menu looks nice.  I have taken a screen shot of what I am seeing in the exact Export dropddown menu.  There used to be a CSV (all fields) option last week.  Now it is missing.

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2017

Very weird, I've still been able to export as CSV without error (I haven't updated my Software yet)

Jan G. July 17, 2017

We are on JIRA Server 7.3.1. The only export options we have available are XML, Word and Printable.

jiraexport.PNG

I would be happy having either CSV or Excel, but currently there is nothing. Any idea what to do?

Like # people like this
Sascha Ziemann March 27, 2019

Same problem here with Jira server edition. And no answer?

Like Zohreh Abdollahi likes this
Andra Onecic March 27, 2019

Try exporting by first navigating to Issues dropdown > more..., then click All issues on the left, then narrow down issues to export by filters, then click export. There are more export options in this view. 

CSV.jpg

Like Muhammad Darrag likes this
2 votes
Dmitry Uspenskiy February 20, 2017

this is a very bad decision

I will move elsewhere ... no excel export? are you kidding me?

1 vote
admin July 20, 2018

If you use Jira cloud is very easy. You must go at View all filters, choose one that you need work, and in top rigth yo have a selector with arrow, and you push and you can exportx in CSV. After  you must save un format UTF8 or other because is a little bit ugly the format that it is downloaded.

Captura4.PNG

1 vote
Petr Musil May 29, 2017

Hi, we have the same issue

We are also using the JIRA Cloud and suddenly export to CSV went missing breaking a couple of major flows.

Does anybody from Atlassian even care to answer here or are they totaly out of reality already?

Is it time to switch to another solution of a vendor that actually cares about its customers?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Hi Petr,

did you already open a support case for this? This platform here is a user based community, not the official Atlassian Support. Most of us are just users like you. Atlassian people do read and answer here also, but there is no SLA for the community platform.

You can reach Support here:

https://support.atlassian.com/

1 vote
Steven Perine May 15, 2017

Same issue here. This is a massive inconvenience for our team.

1 vote
Courtney Manitz April 26, 2017

I am also experiencing this. I do not have any option to export to HTML either.

Any ideas? Solutions? 

0 votes
prashantgera July 9, 2021

How can I export all the issue types in one file if the count is more than 1000?

0 votes
gina July 3, 2020

There  is not option to EXPORT anywhere. 
ANy suggestions? 
I click on Issues and Filter.. and nothing about Exporting appears anywhere on the board. 

Amyot Smyth, Aeryn March 11, 2021

Right - no option to export for me, either.

Ama Pra March 12, 2021

No option to export from JIRA cloud. Can somebody help us to find the link to export stories from JIRA cloud

0 votes
Glenda Benologa September 26, 2019

exportOfListIssue.pngHope you'll give user an option to export the list of issues.

Bernd Anderer November 20, 2019

Are you trying to export Issues from X-RAY? Test cases? 

If so, you just select them with a JQL and export them like regular Issues. But you can not import everything via CSV - e.g. Test Status. You have to read their documentation on this.

Glenda Benologa November 20, 2019

2019-11-21_0713.png

0 votes
Andra Onecic July 18, 2018

If anyone is still experiencing issues with this, it will give you all export options when in Issue Navigation screen. Filter your data to be exported by project, type, etc. Then click export. 

JIRA export.jpg

0 votes
Niklas Olsson May 25, 2017

Hi All,

We expereinced the same issue, quite an annoying feature to take away. Feels like a very eco-system lookdown type of feature change...

As previously alluded to we currently export to HTML, open in excel, apply formatting and still achieve the same operational outcomes. This currently works well and if anyone has problems don't desitate to ask.

0 votes
Saifudeen Khan April 25, 2017

Did someone solve this problem? I got the same issue, where export to csv or xls is missing from my cloud instance. I am the admin, I do not have any clues on what happened? Any suggestions would be of great help

0 votes
goodsoft February 24, 2017

I was struck by this problem today too, but apparently if you export issues as HTML, the resulting file can be imported into Excel or Google Docs without any problems, with some unnecessary styling though.

0 votes
Deleted user February 22, 2017

We are also using the JIRA Cloud and suddenly export to CSV went missing, breaking a bunch of follow-up processes in the organization. What's the official word on this? Where / why did it go, is this a bug with JIRA Cloud or a conscious decision to remove it?

0 votes
Julian Riedinger _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2017

Hey Nic,

maybe your admins updated your JIRA application to a newer version?

Have a look at this

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41472351/jira-7.2.x-excel-export-gone

Cheers,

Julian

Nic Olson February 22, 2017

I am using JIRA Cloud.  I am the admin.  The feature to export to CSV was available last week.  Now it is missing.  Did the Cloud version get updated to remove this feature?  Is the option now available in a different menu location?  If yes, how can I export to CSV?

0 votes
Nic Olson February 20, 2017

image2017-2-20 10:16:49.png

Suggest an answer