how to export and import test cases in Jira

Nabil Moidunny July 10, 2013

Hi,

I have around 100 plus test cases which were created in an Excel. But i dont want to execute and maintain them using Excel. I want the test cases to be maintained in Jira. all the updated, status, concerns, fixes, etc of each test cases need to be shown in jira. Could someone suggest and instruct me?

11 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kiran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2013

You can try out Zephyr for JIRA plugin which is available in the Market place at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.je

And here is the documentation on using Zephyr for JIRA Test Importer Utility to import excel test cases to JIRA. https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/Import

And here is the documenation to export the testcases from JIRA to Excel using Zephyr https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/Exporting

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2013

Hi Kiran, Thanks for getting this one. I want to add that we have the import process documented as well. It is only located on our community forum so here is the link for a PDF on how to use the importer tool.

http://community.yourzephyr.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1048

Cheers

Like Joel Skaggs likes this
geomatani July 14, 2013

Hi Kiran,

I am on trial version and would like to start using Zephyr. I am wirting test cases but want to have option to export test cases with each step to excel.

I cant export detailed test cases steps, Test Step, Test Data and Expected Result.

Is that possible?

Odifentse Lehasa March 8, 2018

Hi there, 

I am also struggling to import my test details (steps, data and expected results). 
How do I remedy this problem?

Thank you for your time. 

Kind Regards,

Odi

Like manikandan_dhanaraj likes this
Juan Rinaldi August 15, 2019

Hi Kiran,

I also want to import test cases from excel to Jira using Zephyr.

How should a correct excel design (format) be?.

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Juan

adriaan.kooimans December 17, 2019

Hi, 

I am not able to access the link:

" And here is the documentation on using Zephyr for JIRA Test Importer Utility to import excel test cases to JIRA. https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/Import

also I am experiencing the same Error as Juan: 

- Invalid Format

- After I upload a test excel file i receive " Sorry ! System experienced higher than usual memory expected. Please retry after sometime."

Can you help?

Kennedy Aghedo September 27, 2020

Hi Adrian,  I am having this same error message: 

Sorry ! System experienced higher than usual memory expected. Please retry after sometime.

Did you get a way around it? if yes, How?

Can you help?

2 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2013

@Nabil, Zephyr provides great features "out-of-the-box" but if you already have workflows and such set up the way you want them and just need to get the content from Excel to JIRA, you can simply save your Excel sheet as a CSV and use JIRA's built-in CSV importer to import all of the test cases as issues in JIRA.

If that is what you are asking, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Importing+Data+from+CSV or the documentation for whatever version you are using.

Nabil Moidunny July 14, 2013

Thank a lot everyone.

I'm on the impression that Zephyr has got a cost involved which is hassle for me to get approvals.

@Randhall, i prefer the excel conversion menthod. Can you guide me to video or something which shows how testcase from excel is imported to Jira and vise versa.

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

Randal, Nabil,

The Excel Import method you mentioned doesn't import test steps. If you want to import test steps, use the Zephyr Import tool.

Also, yes, there is a cost for Zephyr. We're just another company out there with employees who make a product and want to get paid for their work!

Chris <-Works at Zephyr!

Like jbeaty likes this
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

@Nabil,

First, define your import configuration. Documentation here. This is where JIRA looks at your CSV file and asks you to define how the contents of the CSV file connect to the projects, issuteypes, workflows and fields in your JIRA system. You have to set up your JIRA the way you want it before you can import anything.

Our testing team uses a custom issuetype with a custom workflow and a few standard fields. The issuetype and workflow are included in every project we create test cases for. The few videos I have seen about CSV import for JIRA assume that you already have your projects, workflows, issuetypes and fileds created. Zephyr does a lot of this for you, which is one reason many feel it is worth paying for. If you want to set these up yourself, you need to answer some questions:

1. What JIRA project will I put my test cases in? Create the project or projects in JIRA, if necessary.
  2. What issuetype will I use for test cases in JIRA? Create issuteypes in JIRA, if necessary. Make sure they are associated with your project(s).
  3. What is my team's workflow for test cases? Create the necessary workflow(s) in JIRA and associate them with your project(s) and issuetype(s).
  4. What fields do I need for my test case issues? Create custom fields in JIRA, if necessary. Associate them with your issuetype(s). Field Configuration is important, but Screen Configuration should not affect the import process.

After you set up JIRA, you can run the CSV Import Wizard to map the Excel information to the structure you created in JIRA. JIRA walks you through that process, but refer to steps 6 through 12 here the first time or two. Check the Preparing your CSV file documentation, too.

Once you've done that, you are ready for the second part, which is simply to run the import, which is step 13 in the CSV Import Wizard instructions. Best to use only a few test cases in your Excel file the first time to test.

1 vote
ShaliniSubbaraj September 22, 2020

Hi ,

I am trying to import test cases to tm4j via excel and I see the test cases are uploaded fine, but format after uploading is all invalid-

invalid.PNG

1 vote
ahmed gondal August 14, 2013

Hi,

i am succesfully importing test case in jira but it didnot showing all the steps.

0 votes
Carlos Medina Rubio August 6, 2018

Hi.

i would like to know, how is posible upload test cases in JIRA by file, im using qmetry as a test management tool, however im not recongnize where i try to doing this

0 votes
Mark Biro March 1, 2016

Hi there,

With add-on JExcel,  you can import and export your issues (even by copy and pasting the selected cells) with 1 click! And its free.

Feel free to give it a try:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.jexcel/server/overview

Hope it will help you, too.

Best Regards, Mark 

Naveen Sharma February 6, 2020

@Mark Biro This tool has a pricing now as I see. 

Like drew.kearney likes this
0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2013

Hi Admed,

Can you please email us a sample of the XML file you are attempting to import? Also, a screen shot of the missing test steps in JIRA? Please email it to 'support (at) getzephyr (dot) com'. We will be able to help you further there.

Kind Regards,

Emily

0 votes
Nabil Moidunny July 22, 2013

thank you

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2013

Hi @geomatani,

It is completely up to you. Like I had said the XML importer is in testing (they both are but the XML importer more than the excel) and we are looking for feed back. It also only accepts XML files that were generated by TestLink. If you meet that crieteria then give it a shot. We also are looking for feed back on the XML importer.

The excel importer is pretty solid.

Kind Regards,

Emily

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2013

Hi @geomatani,

We have the Zephyr for JIRA tests utility importer that allows you to import in test cases from an excel file. You can get the download and the instructions on how to use the importer at the link below:

http://community.yourzephyr.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1048

We also have a beta version for XML importing that you can test. Since it is in beta we ask that anyone who does use it please provide feed back to us. In order for the XML import to be a success the XML file does need to be generated by Testlink.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/coflaqlc2er903b/zfj-importer%20-assembly-0.27.jar

As for the XML importer, if you have any questions or issues please email me at 'support at getzephyr dot com'. I will be able to assist you further via email regarding this. The same with importing via the excel importer. Any issues you run into email me.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Sunil Runkana January 5, 2015

Hi Emily, Did use the Zephyr for JIRA tests utility importer as said but facing issue as below Mon Jan 05 16:40:44 IST 2015 file:///C:/APTRA Mobile Banking/Connections/TestsWithStepsInExcel/Test Import.xls normalization success..! Mon Jan 05 16:40:48 IST 2015 Unable to add testcase ending at rowNumber - 2. Error:Unexpected response code: 400 {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"customfield_11920":"Operation value must be a number"}} Mon Jan 05 16:40:49 IST 2015 Unable to add testcase ending at rowNumber - 8. Error:Unexpected response code: 400 {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"customfield_11920":"Operation value must be a number"}} Mon Jan 05 16:40:50 IST 2015 Test Import.xls imported successfully..! Not sure which customfield is it refering to? Can you help me provide a solution?

PoojaK January 6, 2015

Hello Sunil We would like to gather additional information from your end in order to troubleshoot this issue. Hence i would like to know your email id in order to open up a new case for you in our system . Additionally this issue persists because one of your custom field in Jira instance has input of numeric type only. However the excel file containing the testcase which you are trying to import has a non numeric value for the same custom field. Hence you are unable to import the test case inside zephyr for Jira Kind Regards Pooja

Sunil Runkana January 6, 2015

Hi Pooja, Thanks for your response and here is my emailid - sunil.runkana.mobiqa@gmail.com And also here is the link for my issue where I have even pasted snapshot of excel sheet used and of error shown on utility - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11969548 Regards, Sunil

Sunil Runkana January 13, 2015

Hi Pooja, Is there any update on the issue.....as I belong to QA team not sure about which custom filed is it talking about. But as said understood that it is caused due to mismatch of data type for a specific custom field. Thanks Sunil Runkana

PoojaK January 13, 2015

Hello Sunil I have opened up a new case for you in our system and will be communicating on the same Kind Regards Pooja

Robin Gupta August 9, 2018

Hello, is the XML importer stable and released now?

We are trying to import test cases into Jira from Testlink. 

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Hi @geomatani

I want to answer your question hidden in this thread:

Q - "I am on trial version and would like to start using Zephyr. I am wirting test cases but want to have option to export test cases with each step to excel.

I cant export detailed test cases steps, Test Step, Test Data and Expected Result.

Is that possible?"

A - Yes it is possible. You will need to export out your test cases from the Issue Navigator. Go to issue navigator and search for the test cases you wish to export. Once they are on the screen go to the top right and select either 'Export' or the image of the gear depending on what version of JIRA you are running. In the drop down select "Export current". You will then get an excel file that has all the informaiton you seek.

Kind Regards,

Emily

geomatani July 17, 2013

Thanks Emily.

Thats exactly what I needed.

As far as importing files, what would you suggest.?

I have excel and XML testcases woudl like to import to Zephyr

manikandan_dhanaraj December 11, 2019

Hi Emily,

How to upload (Import) the test case with multiple steps, (test  steps, Test Data and Test Result). 

I have uploaded the test cases without steps, now i want to upload the test cases with multiple steps, Please let me know how to do that

Thanks

Man

Suggest an answer