how to disable JIRA backup service when starting the JIRA service ?

my jira version is 4.4.1 ,on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit ,its physical configuration is as follows,

CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @2.27GHz 2.26GHz

RAM: 12GB

and has allocate Xmx 1024m to JVM.

1. each time i start JIRA, its xml backup service will be started,and begin to backup. then jira works very slowly, and always lead to " java.lang.OutOfMemoryError ". so in this situation, it will be very difficult to start jira.

2. i have to try several times to "start" jira .

3. on the other hand, i also set "Backup Service" to 1440(mins) under [System]->[Services] . i.e. i want to auto backup jira every day.

4. so is it possible to just disable JIRA backup service when start jira service.and enable the everyday's auto backup service ?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Daryl Chuah Atlassian Team Apr 01, 2013

Hi Fabby

I guess you have bump in to this situation : OutOfMemory Error or Poor Performance due to XML Backup

Please try the suggested resolution which could possibly address your issues.

Hope it helps

Cheers :)

thanks DaryI

to be on the safe side,i both use a native database tool and XML bakckup as a backup strategy

Are u running JIRA on linux or windows?

What is the memory configurations? Alocate to JIRA?

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit ,its physical configuration is as follows,

CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @2.27GHz 2.26GHz

RAM: 12GB

and has allocate Xmx 1024m to JVM.

Daryl is correct. you have to increase memory for heap and JVM.

I just upgraded from JIRA 6.1.7 to 6.3.15 yesterday, and it seems that the backup service has been disabled on startup.  It now appears to run on a strict schedule based on the interval you set.  Mine runs every 120 minutes, so I have backups for 6:09, 8:09, 10:09, etc.  I even restarted the system in between, and it appears to remember the last backup and when the next one should run.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

176 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you