how to delete an issue from database

John Pfotzer February 22, 2016

I have an issue that the "epic" accidentally got deleted. Now the issue is corrupted and as an admin, I can't go to more and "delete". Looks like it has to be deleted by my database person. He doesn't know how to do it.

can I get step by step instructions he can follow?

Thanks

John

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2016

Ugh, no, deleting an issue via SQL can take hits on several tables, and often multiple ones.  You have to be extremely careful to only hit one issue, and even more careful to check that you get the whole thing.

How did you do this "accidental delete"?  If it was done properly in the UI or over REST, then the code should not have "corrupted" anything, it will have deleted it and severed any links to other issues. 

Even if this "corruption" just means "it's gone and things have changed" rather than an actual corruption, you still need to know exactly what is wrong and missing, so you can work out what needs doing to fix it (deleting with SQL is almost certainly going to be the wrong answer)

John Pfotzer February 22, 2016

Nic, first, thanks for getting back do fast. Great job. Ok, I will not pursue the remove from database path.
Update: it seems to have resolved itself (JIRA Magic), we can edit it without getting error messages. So, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth", meaning it is fixed, but I don't know how it got fixed.

thx

John

Suggest an answer