how to create departments / teams?

Sahar Tal July 2, 2017

Hi,

I just started to use JIRA and i would like to seperate the service desk project to
multiple departments with different agents per department.

we have 4 sites on different location around the country and we want our customers will select their help topic or service and then will also select thier department.

the final step is make a filter that will assign the ticket on a specific agents or department :)

*we also want to make tickets visible only to their department*

Thanks,
Sahar

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2017

Hi Sahar,

The easiest way to separate all 4 departments in the intended way would be having 4 different Service Desk projects, each with its own Customer Portal's URL and, optionally, its own email address channel.

That way you would be able to easily set each SD project:

• Viewable just by the correct department, by including just users/groups from the appropriate department to the Service Desk Agents project role.
  • With its own project leader, making them the default assignee of every issue created on the project.

The approach of having just one SD project for achieving what you want is more complex, but possible:

• Create an Issue Security scheme with a Security Level for each department (named as the appropriate department) adding a different group to each of them (to which all users from the relevant department should belong) ensuring to add (at least) the Reporter issue role to the security level.
  • Set each of the customer portal's requests with the Level field, being shown to the customers with the name Department.
  • Set 4 custom Automation Rules like:
    WHEN Issue is created
    IF Issue matches: level = <department name>
    THEN Edit issue: set the desired assignee

I'd personally recommend the first approach, as it would be a much simpler solution and it wouldn't require your customers to select any departments on every ticket they raise.

Hope it helps.

Marc Ohmen February 2, 2021

Hallo Ignacio,

some time ago, we started running a Jira Service Helpdesk cloud instance. We've decided to go with your second solution, so we created Security Levels which correspond to the names of our departments. We skipped the last step, because we don't want requests to be automatically assigned to somesome specific. Instead, when creating requests, we set the Security Level field in each request for the specific team by default, so it does get assigned automatically to the team by Jira.

It does work as intended: now the member of the respective team only does see the requests raised for their team.

The request is also visible to the customer, but not to the other members of the organization. However, they should see the other requests of their respective organization as well. Could you tell me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Suggest an answer